10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2009 9:58 PM by thedood

DX58SO Bios update and IDCC

stumped

When I installed the latest bios update yesterday...my Intel Desktop Control Center will not start. I have reinstalled it to no avail. I get a error message "IDCC failed to start XTU service". Has anybody experienced this problem?

Vista home premium. I7 processor.

Thanks....

• 1. Re: DX58SO Bios update and IDCC
          isit

There are 3 things to try -

1. Roll the BIOS back to the previous version and see if IDCC works correctly or -

2. Check the release notes for IDCC, there is an email address where you can send one of your IDCC log files and some interesting notes concerning known issues.

3. Can you manually start the service yourself via "Administrative Tools - Services" ? You need to be an administrator to install / configure or un-install IDCC!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DX58SO Bios update and IDCC
            Aryan2411

Hi there,

To be honest, I have not checked the latest BIOS Version 3828, i can check it later for you.

All that i remember so far , on this board, when i had the bios version 2127, on the iDCC, there were four indicators:
            1. Ambient
            2. CPU
            3. Memory
            4. IOH

When i updated the bios to the version V3504, the menu indicator changes:
            1. Ambient
            2. CPU
            3. CPU VR
            4. IOH

There was no more memory, actually this is stated in the Bios Release NOtes if i am not mistaken.
            http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17589/eng/SO_3828_ReleaseNotes.pdf

By the way which bios version do you have? And which memory are you using and CPU as well?

Anyway, i will let you know if i get the same thing.

Regards,
            Aryan.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: DX58SO Bios update and IDCC
              stumped

Thanks for the reply....The bios  is indeed 3828 and I would appreciate very much your findings after installation. I didn't notice anything in the release notes that indicate 'Memory' would change (edit: sorry, was reffering to the IDCC not the bios)....and the IDCC has not been updated to reflect such.

After a lengthy discussion with Intel...they offered a solution. They recommended going into the bios and select 'optimal default settings' save/quit....which I did and IDCC started the XTU. However, when I ran the auto tune, the first time Windows restarted...I got the message again "IDCC failed to start XTU". Trying to start XTU manually from 'services' gets the message "XTU started then stopped". IDCC is running in taskmanager by the way...just won't start XTU.

My computer has the I7 920 processor, 3g ram, and Vista home premium.

• 4. Re: DX58SO Bios update and IDCC
                stumped

Thanks for the reply....I did try to start the program from services...I get a message "XTU started but stopped. This happens when it is no longer needed by another program (or something similar)".

I indeed have the log file which has a lot of 'warnings' and failures listed...but can not find where to send it. Google has revealed many posts concerning the IDCC and bios compatability in past Bios offerings...but, none recent

• 5. Re: DX58SO Bios update and IDCC
                  Aryan2411

Hi Stumped,

I apologized for the delay in responding to you. I will try to see if I get any issues with the IDCC with new BIOS soon. In the meantime, as mentioned by Isit, I think that it is best for you to send the log to the IDCC team for further investigation. It will be quicker from their side as they are the builder.

Website: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17226/eng/Readme.txt

After installing Intel Desktop Control Center 4.4.0, if you encounter issues that are not documented below, please send an email to  idccfeedback@intel.com and attach the following file:

C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTEL\INTEL(R) DESKTOP CONTROL CENTER\LOGS\IDCC.LOG (for 32-bit OS)

C:\PROGRAM FILES(x86)\INTEL\INTEL(R) DESKTOP CONTROL CENTER\LOGS\IDCC.LOG (for 64-bit OS)

and include a screen shot of the error message.

Please also include your BIOS version, OS version (Windows XP or Windows Vista; 32- or 64-bit), and OS language.

Let us know how it goes as well.

Regards,

Aryan.

• 6. Re: DX58SO Bios update and IDCC
                    Aryan2411

Hi there,

I managed to install the Intel Desktop Control Center IDCC v4.4.0.652 with the system configuration below:
                    Bios: V3828
                    Memory Type: DDR3
                    Memory Speed: 1066-64Mhz
                    Populated: Channel A Dimm 0

It works fine. I think that the best thing for you to do is to send the log to the related email we mentionned above.

Kind Regards,
                    Aryan.

• 7. Re: DX58SO Bios update and IDCC
                      stumped

Hello....Thanks for the reply and effort.

I sent the files to support yesterday....will let you know when a response arrives.

BTW...is yours the I7 920 processor?

• 8. Re: DX58SO Bios update and IDCC
                        Aryan2411

Hi Stumped,

Yeah, let me know the response and the fix that they suggest to you. Can you upload the IDCC log for me? I would like to see what sort of errors do you have in the log. The CPU that I have is I7 920 like your one.

Regards,

Aryan.

• 9. Re: DX58SO Bios update and IDCC
                          stumped

I just recieved this from Intel:

"BIOS 3828 has bugs that are affecting IDCC. There's a new BIOS in eval right now and we'll get it posted as soon as the testing is complete and successful.

Thanks, Matt Alford / software product manager / Intel Corporation

• 10. Re: DX58SO Bios update and IDCC_Fix
                            thedood

I had an identical problem.

Reseting all BIOS defaults solved the error. (F2 at post)

I had done a reinstall of Vista64 and started getting this problem ( IDCC startup failure )

I had over clocked on the previous system, and obviously some setting changes were not liked on reinstall.

I also updated the BIOS first, this didnt fix the problem.