2 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2009 3:46 PM by shunut

DP45SG Build / CMOS Error and Boot Problems

shunut

I am building my first computer. I got everything put together, XP Pro installed, updates done. If you restart the computer everything is fine. If you shut it down, the next time you put the power button, the computer will not boot. All the fans in the case come on, but nothing ever comes up on the screen. The only way I can get it to boot again is to either take the motherboard's battery or flip the CMOS jumper to the other pins, hit power, then switch it back.

When I take the battery out I get these errors on boot:

CMOS Battery Failure

CMOS Checksum Error

CMOS Time Not Set

When I flip the jumper I get:

CMOS Battery Failure

I've replaced the Motherboards battery to try to rule that out as a problem. I ran a BIOS update. Don't know what else to try.

Here is what I have in my build

Antec 300 Case
      Intel DP45SG - http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/moth...SG-overview.htm
      Intel Q8400 Processor
      Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
      4 GB OCZ Platinum 4096MB PC10666 DDR3 1333MHz
      Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
      EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB PCIe w/ dual dvi
      LG DVD-ROM (Model # GDR-H20N)
      LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner (Model # GH22NS30)
      Cooler Master 550w eXtreme Power Plus power supply

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: DP45SG Build / CMOS Error and Boot Problems
          Jonny451

Hi Shunut

As a test - try shutting the machine down and then instead of clearing the CMOs, try unplugging the power lead from the PSU and then replace it and power on - see if you get video.

Another worthwhile test would be to cross-test the issue with a different CPU just to see if it is related.

Have you connected the additional power lead to the motherboard for the PCI-E slots? It is a molex connector.

In the meantime I will speak to a friend of mine who has this board..

• 2. Re: DP45SG Build / CMOS Error and Boot Problems
            shunut

I went through so many things its hard to tell what I did and didn't do.  I actually sent the board back to New Egg and I'm waiting for my replacement.  Thanks for the help though.