4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2009 9:59 PM by neverender

BIOS updated on DX58SO, Failed, now no screen output

mostafahamam

Hi,

I just tried to update the BIOS on DX58SO through a bootable CD iso image from intel website.

after booting from the CD I got a message saying update failed and after 2 seconds it restarted, the screen went black and stayed that way for more than 30 mins. then I powered down and followed these steps from another simiar discussion and these were the results:

Step A:

===========
      Now try to boot the system only with power supply, motherboard, GFX card and cpu connected (no memory)
      Result:
      Does the board issue any beeps? yes there were beeps

Step B:
      ===========
      Put one memory module on the board on the slot dimm 0
      Result: still black screen

Step C:
      ===========
      Switch the bios jumper configuration of the board to the configuration mode
      Switch on the system
      Result: Black screen as well

Last Step D: Note Update the bios using the recovery mode only
      ============
      CMOS Clear again
      Download the latest bios file from the download page website

Copy the bio file to a fat-formatted usb memory stick

Remove the bios jumper from the board.
      Connect the usb stick on the target machine.
      Make sure there is no other usb devices connected on the system
      Switch on the system
      Wait for the bios update to complete.
      Put back the bios jumper to its normal position
      Try to boot the machine.

If it does not work, try another graphics card.
      Result:

NOW what's happening exactly when I power on the computer that the DVD-ROM keeps flashing as if it reads also if the USB flash is connected it also flashes on and blinks and then goes off and keeps going like that forever...

PLEASE HELP

• 1. Re: BIOS updated on DX58SO, Failed, now no screen output
          Aryan2411

Hi Mostafa,

Disconnect all the media devices that you have on the system like cd drive, hard disk drive, sd card reader if any.

Perform the following test out of chassis.

Then follow the instructions how to do the BIOS recovery. The only media that needs to be connected to the machine will be the USB which will contain the latest BIO file downloaded from the Motherboard download page.

Note: if the steps did not work with your usb, then connect your SATA drive and use this one as media device. Burn the bio file onto a blank cd and repeat the steps below.

Note Update the bios using the recovery mode only
          =====================================
          CMOS Clear again
          Download the latest bios file from the download page website

Copy the bio file to a fat-formatted usb memory stick

Remove the bios jumper from the board.
          Connect the usb stick on the target machine.
          Make sure there is no other usb devices connected on the system. You can disconnect your mouse and keyboard as well.
          Switch on the system
          Wait for the bios update to complete.
          Put back the bios jumper to CONFIGURATION position not Normal Position
          Try to boot the machine.

If it boots, it will go directly onto the BIOS.

Then check if the update was done correctly and switch off your system

Put the BIOS jumper in its default normal position.

Let me know the result.

Regards,

Aryan.

• 2. Re: BIOS updated on DX58SO, Failed, now no screen output
            neverender

i have the same issue.

i have done what you suggested.

when i boot without the jumper, theres no video for about 3 minutes, then it auto restarts, goes through bios to an update screen, and then it reports a failure. if i do the config jumper setting then nothing happens.

if i power down when the auto restart happens (no video at that time) then set the jumper, it still goes right past bios and fails the update.

• 3. Re: BIOS updated on DX58SO, Failed, now no screen output
              unplugged_24

Hi there,

Please remember, the jumper should be removed only when doing bios recovery.

As Aryan said, download the bios recovery file from this link: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/license_agr.aspx?url=/17805/eng/SO4158P.BIO&ProductID=3018&agr=Y&sType=&PrdMap=&DwnldId=17805&strOSs=38&OSFullName=OS%20Independent&lang=eng

Put the downloaded file on either an empty non-bootable usb or cd. Note the downloaded file should be the only file on the disk, if there are any other file on the media, it will fail and will not work.

Put the cd or usb in the system, remove the bios configuration jumper, power on the system and the system will boot to the usb or cd and the bios recovery will start automatically. When finished it will prompt you to power off the system, put the jumper back to the normal position, and then start the system.

It should work fine from there, and bios will have been updated successfully.

You may read the instructions for bios recovery from this document:http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17805/eng/BIOS%20Update%20Readme.pdf

You can clear the cmos before doing the bios update/recovery. Clear cmos is done by removing the motherboard battery and put it back after about 30 minutes. The bios jumpes has nothing to do with clearing the cmos.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers

• 4. Re: BIOS updated on DX58SO, Failed, now no screen output
                neverender

thanks unplugged. trust me, i followed the instructions to the letter the first 2 times i tried it.

when that failed, i started trying a few variants on it.

cheers