1 Reply Latest reply on May 9, 2009 3:09 PM by Aryan2411

Windows Xp Sp3 reports less system memory in DG41RQ

kewl1291

Good day, I just bought this board and installed windows xp sp3 but when I checked the system properties: it only reports 1.99Gb of Ram of which I have 4GB of ram, this is too much. I checked the bios and it is detected by the board as 4gb but why it is reporting in windows that I have way too less space? here is my specs:

Intel Dual Core 2.5 Ghz E5200

DG41RQ board

2x 2GB DDR2 800 Kingston Value Ram

XFX Geforce 9400GT 1GB Vcard

Samsung 160GB Sata Harddrive

Western Digital 80GB IDE Harddrive

Seagate 160GB IDE Harddrive

Will it matter if I Install Windows Vista instead of XP? Any help is appreciated, thanks

• 1. Re: Windows Xp Sp3 reports less system memory in DG41RQ
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

Memory limits all depends on the motherboard and the OS 32/64 bits and hardware memory allocation assigned, these information will be found on Microsoft Website and technical product specifications on Intel Website.

Memory Limits in Windows
          ===================
          Limits on memory and address space vary by platform and operating system. Typically, 32-bit versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista are limited to 4GB. To take advantage of system memory greater than 4GB, all the following components must support 64-bit:

Operating System
          Chipset
          Processor (EM64T)
          Refer to Enabling 64-bit Desktop Computing

In addition, the 32-bit versions of Windows will reserve a portion of memory for critical system functions such as chipset, BIOS flash, PCI Express, etc. If you have 4GB installed, Windows will indicate less than 4GB is available (example: 3.24GB). Your desktop board’s Technical Product Specification includes a detailed system memory address map.

I know for sure that if you are using 8gb memory, on some desktop without onboard graphics and windows xp 64 bits, the memory will be 7.93 GB in Windows, which is pretty good. Here is the list that i got on a Windows XP 64 bits.
          2Gb: 1.99 Gb
          3Gb: 2.93 Gb
          4Gb: 3.93 Gb
          5Gb: 4.93 Gb
          6Gb: 5.93 Gb
          7Gb: 6.93 Gb
          8Gb: 7.93 Gb

Now if you would like to have some more information on Windows 32 bit and 64 bit, may be you can check on this website:
          http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/Help/41531554-d5ef-4f2c-8fb9-149bdc5c8a701033.mspx
          http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-028426.htm#memorylimits

Hope these information will be of some help to you.

Kind Regards,
          Aryan

1 of 1 people found this helpful