7 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2009 12:05 PM by Aryan2411

D945GNT - monitor has no video

kkv1

I have an intel D945GNT motherboard which has been working well for over a year.  Recently I connected SATA harddrive from my laptop (also based on D945 but for some reason crashed).  It recognized the drive and everything looked ok.  But then when I restarted it - there is no more any video.

I have cleaned up my PCI and it now has only the modem card and the ethernet card - but still cannot get video.

I have also tried other things mentioned in this board - reset, reseat the battery and tried another monitor - but no success.

Any body that can help ?  Thanks

• 1. Re: D945GNT - monitor has no video
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

I will need these information as well:

Try this test:

1. Change the BIOS jumper on the board to the configuration mode
             Boot the system with minimum configuration out of chassis.
             Only cpu, mbd, psu, (gfx card if any), keyboard connnected
             Result:

2. Remove the memory
              Does the board issue any beeps? If yes, how many?

3. Do a CMOS clear, then try a bios recovery using a formatted USB media.

Instructions for Recovery BIOS Updates
          In the unlikely event that a BIOS update is interrupted, it is possible the BIOS may be left in an unusable state. The recovery process requires the chassis to be opened to move the onboard BIOS Configuration Jumper.

1. Copy the latest recovery file (*.bio) to a formatted usb disk.
          2. Place the usb disk in the target system.
          3. Shut down the system and unplug AC power.
          4. Open the chassis and remove the BIOS Configuration Jumper. See the Technical Product Specification for details including the location of this jumper.
          5. Power the system on.
          6. Wait 2-5 minutes for the update to complete. When the usb drive LED is lit, the system is copying the recovery code into the FLASH device.
          7. System will either turn off when the recovery process is completed or it will prompt you to turn off the system.
          8. Remove usb disk
          9. Replace the BIOS Configuration Jumper.
          10. Restart system.

4. Change the BIOS jumper on the board to the configuration mode
             Result:

Note: these can be found on:
          Website: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17197/eng/BIOS%20Update%20Readme.pdf
          Page 3

If it works, just update your Service Pack, and the latest drivers to keep it running fine. :-)

Let me know the result.

Regards,
          Aryan

• 2. Re: D945GNT - monitor has no video
            kkv1

Tried 1,2:

1:  Tried with nothing in the PCI slots.  Built int graphics adapter.  No luck

2.  3 beeps.

3.  I had not updated bios in 2 years - so no issue with it being interrupted.  Will it do any good to update the BIOS now ?

4.  I tried a few minutes without jumper, with jumper in reset mode - still no change.

The CPU fan is running, Hard disk seems spinning.  Even the built in LAN is showing the green light - but didnt seem to get an ip.

is it possible that something else has interfered with the booting/video.  I guess I cant do anything since I cant see anything in the first place.

• 3. Re: D945GNT - monitor has no video
              Aryan2411

Hi there,

Of course, it is best for you to try the bios recovery, that's why it is called recovery. :-)

Try this test: You can do the test out of the chassis.

A. Then try a bios recovery using a formatted USB media. Disconnect all the media devices, leave only the usb with the bio file

Instructions for Recovery BIOS Updates
              In the unlikely event that a BIOS update is interrupted, it is possible the BIOS may be left in an unusable state. The recovery process requires the chassis to be opened to move the onboard BIOS Configuration Jumper.

1. Copy the latest recovery file (*.bio) to a formatted usb disk.
              2. Place the usb disk in the target system.
              3. Shut down the system and unplug AC power.
              4. Open the chassis and remove the BIOS Configuration Jumper. See the Technical Product Specification for details including the location of this jumper.
              5. Power the system on.
              6. Wait 2-5 minutes for the update to complete. When the usb drive LED is lit, the system is copying the recovery code into the FLASH device.
              7. System will either turn off when the recovery process is completed or it will prompt you to turn off the system.
              8. Remove usb disk
              9. Replace the BIOS Configuration Jumper.
              10. Restart system.

B. Change the BIOS jumper on the board to the configuration mode
                 Result:

Note: these can be found on:
              Website: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17197/eng/BIOS%20Update%20Readme.pdf
              Page 3

Let me know the result.

Regards,
              Aryan

• 4. Re: D945GNT - monitor has no video
                kkv1

Thanks aryan.  I think the last posting looks the same as your previous one.  I was trying to find a floppy drive and/or USB drive to do what you said.  Unfortunately the regular floppy drive doesnt seem to be working nor the usb drive as I dont see a light in them.  But the power is flowing - the DVD ROM seems to be powering, CPU, fans everything seems to be running.

Does the USB drive need to be bootable ?

Thanks

• 5. Re: D945GNT - monitor has no video
                  Aryan2411

Hi KKV,

Actually, the other post was to do the test out of the chassis.

Bios Recovery:

Summary: You need the .BIO file on a media like CD, USB, Floppy.

It does not need to be bootable.

Make sure to follow the instructions as you will need to remove the BIOS Jumper.

BIOS Iflash Method:

Media needs to be bootable.

File Needed: Iflash.exe, .BIO file

Command: iflash /pf xxx.bio

All these are found in the read me file.

When doing recovery method, it is best to connect only the media drive like cd drive, usb drive.

Dont leave your hard drive connected, and any other media drive.

Keep it simple and minimum configuration.

Regards,

Aryan.

• 6. Re: D945GNT - monitor has no video
                    kkv1

OK.  I tried to this but it wont boot from thefloppy drive not the USB drive.

I can boot my laptop with the USB and so I think that is ok.

It looks like it behaves the same with or without the jumper. 

Is it possible that something is shorted ?  Power seems to be flowing fine and

I have been using this system for 2 years with out much issues

Maybe all these have a life of about 1 year.  Technology is chaning so much - Any

suggestions for what I can replace it with ?  I guess I have to change the processor as well.

Thanks

• 7. Re: D945GNT - monitor has no video
                      Aryan2411

Hi KKV,

Yes, I think that probably the board is dead. I guess that if you are thinking of changing the board, it is best as well to change the CPU.

As you said ealier, Technology is moving fast. 

It is best to get a board that is still supported by Intel, and will be supported for at least more than 1.5 years from now on.

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan