Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2834 Discussions

Provisioning a Dell 755 w/ MEBx FW 3.2.3

idata
Employee

Deleted for incomplete testing. As long as you do your Machine Policy Refresh while the MEBx is enabled for

remote config, you should be good.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Johnny,

Actually, ConfigMgr is supposed to use ws-man to provision AMT clients running firmware 3.2.x and above. Microsoft did not include native support for EOI / SOAP in ConfigMgr, because it is an Intel-proprietary protocol, rather than the WS-Management standard, which was developed by the DMTF, and is therefore not vendor-specific.

Now, I am relatively sure that you can use the Intel WS-MAN Translator to provision 3.2.x AMT clients using EOI / SOAP, however this would only be for backwards compatibility with legacy firmwares that only supported EOI.

I'm not 100% sure on the support for EOI / SOAP in AMT 3.x, but I'm thinking that someone told me, at some point, that it was present.

Trevor Sullivan

Systems Engineer

OfficeMax Corporation

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Trevor,

Thank you for the clarification in how the process communicates. I guess I was wrongly under the assumption that WS-MAN was only for legacy support. That being said, the hope was to provide a possible solution to people who may have trouble provisioning this firmware. The reason why I bring this up is because I was experiencing problems using Discover Management Controllers outside of a collection where the automatic provision policy is set.

Has anyone had other experiences with the 3.2.3 firmware? I'll also note that we are using a console that virtualized into App-V. We are using SCCM SP1 R2 on a x64 Windows Server 2003 box.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Johnny,

I have a number of provisioned systems with AMT 3.2.3, and I don't recall having any issues doing a management controller discovery on a collection where the auto-provision flag was enabled.

A management controller discovery seems to do some sort of network probe to determine the status of the AMT firmware, directly from the firmware, rather than via the system's HECI interface, which allows the ConfigMgr client software to communicate locally with the management controller.

Trevor Sullivan

Systems Engineer

OfficeMax Corporation

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Trevor,

Thanks for the feedback. I think I may have been doing something wrong. I've since been able to provision that machine

and others in the traditional way with no craziness. For the sake of keeping things clean and pertinent, I am going to delete

my original post.

Thanks,

-Johnny

0 Kudos