7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2013 7:53 AM by Ron Green

DZ77RE-75K - Problems with shutdown

Ron Green

I have been running the following system for about three months now.  Over that time I have had a fairly consistent problem were after exiting out of Windows 8 and all way down to where the lights on the Monitors are flashing the system keeps running and does not fully shut down until I force it by holding in the power button for about 10 seconds. After then I turned back on the system and go back into Windows I do not get any error messages.  I'm hoping that somebody can give me some insight into what might be the source of this anomaly and possibly how to troubleshoot and correct it? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

System Specs:

Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155

Intel Desktop Motherboard LGA1155 DDR3 1600 ATX

Corsair Vengeance  16GB (2x8GB)  DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10

Themaltake Smart M850W Power Supply

Intel Solid State Drive 180GB 520 Series

Barracuda 2 TB 7200 Internal Hard Drive

EVGA GeForce GT 640 2048MB GDDR3 Dual DVI, mHDMI Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2643-KR

Antec Sonata IV - ATX Mid Tower Case

LG GH24 Internal CD Super Multi DVD Rewriter

• 1. Re: DZ77RE-75K - Problems with shutdown
          Victor_Intel

Hello Ron.

The issue that you are experiencing could be related to any device connected to the motherboard. Currently I don't haven't noticed any issues like the one you are reporting. At this time I suggest you to test with the system as basic as you can, remove extra hard drives, optical drives, only leave one stick of memory and if possible test with different power supply and video card. Make sure that you are using the latest BIOS.

Regards.

• 2. Re: DZ77RE-75K - Problems with shutdown
            rbmorse

If you are running Windows 7/8 try disabling hibernation by opening an administrator level command window and typing:

powercfg /H off<enter>

Close the command window and reboot the machine.

Also, if running Windows 8 with a user account tied to online (cloud) services try creating a new user with a local only account and boot the machine into that user.  From there, test the shutdown behavior and see if the delays persist.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: DZ77RE-75K - Problems with shutdown
              Ron Green

Hi. Thanks for the input. I have already switched to a local account a week ago and no change. However, I am wondering if you could shed some light on whether a something labeled as a critical error in event viewer is a potential contributor to this shutdown issue? Under "Summary of Administrative Events: there is an event type called Critical. When I expand it what is listed there is "Kernel-Power Event ID:41". If I expand that one it shows basically it as a recurring event on a daily basis. Any idea and suggestions? Thank you.

• 4. Re: DZ77RE-75K - Problems with shutdown
                Douglas DeVetter

Thank you rbmorse!  I had the same issue as Ron, and turning off hibernation seems to have resolved my issue with shutdown, sleep and restart.

• 5. Re: DZ77RE-75K - Problems with shutdown
                  Ron Green

I finally returned to Win7 and the issue disappeared.

• 6. Re: DZ77RE-75K - Problems with shutdown
                    Yuriy Smirnov

I have the same problem. In my point of view the problem is in ethernet port. It causes freeze of all system and after forcing the system to shutdown with the power button, ethernet card still works and blinks with it's LEDs.

• 7. Re: DZ77RE-75K - Problems with shutdown
                      Ron Green

As I noted, since going back to Win 7 64 I have not had one restart or power down issue. Since this issue surfaced with both my ASUS and Intel MB's and only when Win 8 was the OS, did the problem occur. To remain fair, I am not sure if the problem is specifically a WIn8, or a combination of the two MB's I elected to use? Regarding the ethernet aspect, I can't say if that was contributory or not for me. One unique issue I did run into is when I had my HP Officejet Pro 8600 hooked using a USB connection, my system was repeating the same shutdown problem and I happened to find it one day when it occurred by going and unplugging the cable. All of a sudden the computer completed a normal shutdown. I repeated this several times and it was definitely and issue for me.