3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2013 2:46 PM by Tim Crenshaw

DZ77GA-70K fails to boot with Northgate Omnikey 101 keyboard attached

Tim Crenshaw

Hi all,

Does anyone know why the DZ77GA-70K motherboard will not boot when a Northgate Omnikey 101 keyboard is attached to the PS/2 port?

The initial "Intel Extreme" skull/splash page is displayed (with no boot option menu) and the BIOS POST code is 'E6' which I believe is "Started connecting drivers."  At this point, the BIOS just hangs forever.

Interestingly, if I hook up another keyboard and boot, I can switch back to the Northgate Omnikey and it works just fine (I'm typing this message with it right now, actually )... so this would appear to be some sort of BIOS issue.  Why wont the BIOS recognize my trusty old Northgate Omnikey 101?  Is there a way to tell the BIOS "trust me, there's a keyboard on the PS/2 port... just boot and use it."

I flashed the latest BIOS (...2013.0129.1913) but it still wont work

Thanks!

• 1. Re: DZ77GA-70K fails to boot with Northgate Omnikey 101 keyboard attached
          rbmorse

Go into the BIOS setup and make sure the PS/2 port is enabled.  I think it's under the peripheral tab, but I'm not positive.  The setting is there somewhere.

Also, if your OmniKey has the built-in macro function make sure that is disabled (or clear any existing macros that may be in memory). 

• 2. Re: DZ77GA-70K fails to boot with Northgate Omnikey 101 keyboard attached
            Dan_Intel

Hello Tim,

Please go to the BIOS set up menu> configuration tab> hardware devices and make sure PS/2 is enabled.

You can clear the CMOS battery for 30 minutes and restore defaults in the BIOS. We also recommend testing with a different keyboard to narrow the issue.

If the issue persists it is very possible this is a compatibility issue with this specific keyboard and there is not much that can be done in these cases. Thank you for your understanding.

• 3. Re: DZ77GA-70K fails to boot with Northgate Omnikey 101 keyboard attached
              Tim Crenshaw

Hi all,

Yes, the PS/2 port is enabled and, as I mentioned in my original e-mail, I tried with a different keyboard and the BIOS booted fine.  However, I was also able to switch to my Omnikey AFTER booting, so this is clearly some sort of BIOS bug.  It's a little odd that a Northgate Onmikey would lock up your BIOS!

I did come up with a work-around though.  I hooked up one of those old Raritan PS/2 Keyboard Mouse Console Emulators to the PS/2 port and plugged my Omnikey into that.  This was enough to fool the BIOS into thinking the keyboard is something other than an Omnikey!

Thanks for your suggestions.  You still might want to check that BIOS/keyboard identifier code tho... should not lock up the BIOS!

Tim