12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2014 10:09 AM by kevin_intel

Is the "gray NUC" (Celeron version) compatible with Windows Server 2012 or 2008R2?

oken

I can see that the Celeron "gray NUC" (DCCP847DYE) has drivers available for the x64 versions of Windows 8 and 7. But has anyone here had luck running Windows Server 2012 or 2008R2 on it? (or perhaps on the Core i3 versions?)

I plan to buy a NUC and use it as a low-power 24/7 home server. I am not looking for whether or not it has official support for the server OSes (it doesn't), but just if anyone managed to get Server 2008R2 or 2012 installed anyway without too much trouble, either with built-in drivers or using the ones for Windows 7/8 x64.

• 1. Re: Is the "gray NUC" (Celeron version) compatible with Windows Server 2012 or 2008R2?
          Freddy Gonzalez

Hello Oken,

We don't have any official information about those Operating systems running in any of the NUC units that were released due to the fact that those particular OS are not supported by these items.

Regards,

Freddy

• 2. Re: Is the "gray NUC" (Celeron version) compatible with Windows Server 2012 or 2008R2?
            oken

Thank you for your feedback, Freddy.

BTW, I assume you accidentally skipped a "don't" in this sentence:

Freddy_Intel wrote:

We have any official information about those Operating systems [...]

I know that the server OSes are officially very much unsupported on the hardware and that I am on my own customer support-wise if I go for it, but that said, the driver model for Windows 7 and 8 is the same family as 2008R2 and 2012 respectively, and I would like to hear from other NUC owners that may have had luck running 2008R2 or 2012.

• 3. Re: Is the "gray NUC" (Celeron version) compatible with Windows Server 2012 or 2008R2?
              mkaturagi

Hello, Oken.

I have an Intel NUC DC3217IYE.

And i installed Windows server 2012 on DC3217IYE.

After installing Windows Server 2012 on my NUC, the onboard

Intel 82579V Gigabit NIC on the NUC motherboard was not working.

This blog post will be useful for you to enable the Intel 82579V NIC in Windows Server 2012.

Now, Windows Server 2012 and Hyper-V is running on my NUC.

regards.

Minoru.

• 4. Re: Is the "gray NUC" (Celeron version) compatible with Windows Server 2012 or 2008R2?
                oken

Thank you, thank you very much, Minoru. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Domo arigato gozaimashita

• 5. Re: Is the "gray NUC" (Celeron version) compatible with Windows Server 2012 or 2008R2?
                  didier_carpediem

Hello

I bought a NUC BOXDC3217IYE (Core i3), I can not install Windows Server 2012 as drivers for the hard disk controller does not find my disk (Intel SSD 525 Series 90 GB).

If I have understood your message correctly (I do not speak very well English...), you have managed to install Windows 2012 on your NUC.

What driver do you use?

Thanks for your reply

• 6. Re: Is the "gray NUC" (Celeron version) compatible with Windows Server 2012 or 2008R2?
                    oken

Yes, I managed to install Windows Server 2012 on my NUC (I ended up buying a DC3217IYE like yours). I did not have any problems with drive detection and did not have to provide any SATA controller driver during the installation. But I did install Windows in "UEFI boot mode" and I suspect you might be trying to install it in "classic BIOS boot mode", which could require vendor-specific SATA controller drivers at boot time.

You really should use UEFI boot instead. It's faster and is less hassle.

This is what I did to install Windows Server 2012 in UEFI boot mode:

1. Download the Windows 7 USB/DVD tool at http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe
                    2. Find a USB thumb drive with a capacity of at least 4GB
                    3. Make the USB thumb drive into a bootable installation media using the Windows 7 USB/DVD tool by selecting your Windows Server 2012 ISO file in the tool. If you do not have a Windows Server 2012 ISO file, make one from your Installation DVD using a DVD burner application. Most applications have the option of making ISO files from existing CD/DVDs.
                    4. Plug the USB thumb drive in the NUC and turn it on. Press the function key associated with the boot device selection (shown on screen) to pop up a list of available bootable devices. Select the one that says something like "UEFI: USB [thumb drive name]". The Windows installer should now start and run without requiring vendor-specific SATA drivers.

Let me know how it goes.

• 7. Re: Is the "gray NUC" (Celeron version) compatible with Windows Server 2012 or 2008R2?
                      mkaturagi

Hello.

My ssd drive is crusial 128GB.

Could you try to disable AHCI on you NUC Bios?

When you disable AHCI,would your ssd not find yet?

If you success Windows server 2012 install,you can enable AHCI as this article.

How to Enable AHCI in Windows 8 After Installation - iThinkDifferent

Regards.

• 8. Re: Is the "gray NUC" (Celeron version) compatible with Windows Server 2012 or 2008R2?
                        didier_carpediem

Hello,

Thank you for your answers!

After BIOS Update I managed to install Hyper-V Server 2012!

Now it is the network card that does not move, yet I followed the procedure below:

http://www.ivobeerens.nl/2012/08/08/enable-the-intel-82579v-nic-in-windows-server-2012/

To restart it tells me it can not find a network connection and can not install the driver for the card ... I just keep searching ...

soon

• 9. Re: Is the "gray NUC" (Celeron version) compatible with Windows Server 2012 or 2008R2?
                          didier_carpediem

I succeeded!

Edit the file was no longer properly in hash, we circumvent the problem.

Thank you for your help.

• 10. Re: Is the "gray NUC" (Celeron version) compatible with Windows Server 2012 or 2008R2?
                            oken

I'm glad it worked out for you.

For the record, here are the exact steps I went through to install the LAN driver on Windows Server 2012:

1. Download this LAN driver for Windows 8 x64: Download Center
                            2. Extract package and open \PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS63\e1c63x64.inf in notepad, edit it like described in the ivobeerens.nl blog post so it looks like appendix A.
                            3. Run as admin: bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
                            4. Run as admin: bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
                            5. Reboot
                            6. Install driver by executing \APPS\PROSETDX\Winx64\DxSysChk.exe
                            7. Run as admin: bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
                            8. Run as admin: bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF
                            9. Reboot

Appendix A

[------Snip-------]

[ControlFlags]

[Intel]

[Intel.NTamd64.6.2.1]

; DisplayName                   Section              DeviceID

; -----------                   -------              --------

%E1502NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1502.6.2.1,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502

%E1502NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1502.6.2.1,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502&SUBSYS_00011179

%E1502NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1502.6.2.1,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502&SUBSYS_00021179

%E1503NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1503.6.2.1,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1503

%E1503NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1503.6.2.1,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1503&SUBSYS_00011179

%E1503NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1503.6.2.1,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1503&SUBSYS_00021179

[Intel.NTamd64.6.2]

; DisplayName                   Section        DeviceID

; -----------                   -------        --------

%E1502NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1502,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502

%E1502NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1502,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502&SUBSYS_00011179

%E1502NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1502,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502&SUBSYS_00021179

%E1503NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1503.6.2.1,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1503

%E1503NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1503.6.2.1,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1503&SUBSYS_00011179

%E1503NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1503.6.2.1,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1503&SUBSYS_00021179

[------Snip-------]

• 11. Re: Is the "gray NUC" (Celeron version) compatible with Windows Server 2012 or 2008R2?
                              Edward_L

I would like to state what I did following your example as it didn't quite turn out right with your directions, maybe from the age of it. But I have a DCCP847DYE NUC and installed it in "classic mode" according to oken's post on Apr 6, 2013 11:11 AM I guess. Well the Download center link was broke so I googled the resulting dye-ske-win8-64bit-driver-bundle-sep2014 package. When I then went into the LAN folder after extracting I ran the file LAN_Win8_64_PROWin_19.3.exe

As it didn't let me set the folder that it unpacked to, I had to wait about ten minutes to let the computer search and show me it was in c:\users\Administration\AppData\Local\Temp\RarSFx0\Pro1000\winx64\NDIS64

So I changed the e1c64x64.inf file the same way described by Oken for his e1c63x64,inf and from the resource he showed from Ivo Beerens

1. Run as admin: bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
                              2. Run as admin: bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
                              3. Reboot

So then trying to find a file to run to install like Oken's step 6 I found it under c:\users\Administration\AppData\Local\Temp\RarSFx0\apps\setup\setupbd\Winx64\setupbd.exe

This installed my network drivers for Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection but also see Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter (but to be fair not sure if that was there previously)

• 12. Re: Is the "gray NUC" (Celeron version) compatible with Windows Server 2012 or 2008R2?
                                kevin_intel

Thank you for sharing this information. I am sure it will be very helpful for other users.

Kevin M