Intel S5000PSLSASR

Intel Dual Xeon 2.8

12GB Certified ram

2 WD Raptor SATA HD's

2008 Windwos Server x64

Dual redundant power supplies

3U Rack mount

SATA DVD-DL Burner

Long time Intel customer...first Server MB purchased.  I have 2 WD Raptors (SATA) HD's that I want to setup in a RAID1 configuration.  Everytime I go into the BIOS and enable RAID over SATA, the system haults @ boot.  So apparently I am missing something here.  Currently I have my HD on SATA ports 0 and 2.  SATA DVD-ROM on SATA port 1.  This is my first RAID configuration (apparently lol) and not sure where the issue might be.  Do the HD's need to be connected on the MB on specific SATA ports for the specific RAID setup?

Any help would be great.

Much thanks

• 1. Re: S5000PSLSASR Raid1 configuration help

There is something that might be the root of your issue, take a look at this document in the S5000PSL FAQs, sometimes reading is not bad .

And here is theRAID user's guide:

• 2. Re: S5000PSLSASR Raid1 configuration help

Hi there,

Firstly, welcome to the Community.

I will explain to you how to configure a RAID 0/1 on the Embedded RAID II Configuration Utility.

Well this board S5000PSLSASR have two independent onboard RAID controllers.
            One for the SAS port (can do raid 0/1/10 and raid 5 with activation key axxraksw5)
            Other for the SATA port (can do raid 0/1/10)

On this particular board, there is:
            four BLUE SAS port
            two BLACK SATA port

Before starting with the steps below:

Please make sure that you have the latest bios version V96 as a precaution
            Website: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=2305&DwnldID=17307&strOSs=5&OSFullName=DOS&lang=eng

After bios update, connect the sata drives to either first two (black) SATA ports or the (blue) SAS Ports.
            Do not mix the drives like one on the sata port and the other one on the sas port.

I assume that you are not using a backplane (drive cage). If yes, let me know which one do you have? As if you have a expander backplane, you wont be able to use the SATA ports.

Go into the BIOS,
            If the HDD are connected on the SAS Port, go to Mass Storage COntroller and Configure it as RAID.
            And if you have your SATA CD Drive connected on the SATA port on the board, make sure that the SATA controller is enabled and configure as IDE.

Otherwise if you have the SATA CD drive connected on the SAS port, please connect it on to the last SAS port. And you can disable the SATA controller in the bios.

Once the POST loads, Press Ctrl + E to go onto the RAID Bios Oprom.

Go to Management Menu >> Configure >> Press enter to Select this Option

Configuration Menu >> New Configuration >> Press enter to Select this Option

Yes >> Press enter to Select this Option

New Configuration from Array Selection Menu
            0 - Ready - Press Space to Select this drive - It will change to Online Axx-xx
            1 - Ready - Press Space to Select this drive - It will change to Online Axx-xx

Then Press F10 to configure the RAID
            Then Press Space to Select the Configurable Array (It will show Span -X)
            Then press F10 again to configure it

Choose the RAID level for this Virtual Drive
            Select the RAID 0/1/5
            Press enter to choose the appropriate settings
            Accept and Press enter to save COnfiguration
            Select Yes to continue

Press F3 to view your Virtual Drive configuration

Then if everything is fine, go to Initialise
            Press Space to Select the VD
            Press F10 to initialise it (Note this process will erase everything on the drive)

Save and Exit.

Make sure you slipstreamed the raid F6 driver if you are using Windows XP/2003 etc if Windows vista/2008/7, download the driver onto a USB and load the driver.

Note: when installing an OS, it will boot onto the bootable OS CD, later it imay ask you for a cd driver, this will be the F6 driver for the controller as the SATA CD drive is part of the hardware on the Array Selection Menu.

F6 Driver: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=2305&DwnldID=17487&strOSs=174&OSFullName=WindowsServer*2008Enterprisex64&lang=eng

Once the windows has been installed, install the Raid Web COnsole to view the raid and check for log when needed.

Hope this helps a bit now.

Kind Regards,