4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2013 2:59 PM by daveprice74

How do I remove a a disk from 4-disk RAID5 array?

daveprice74

Hello, I want to remove one of my 4 1TB disks in the IRST RAID5 array, so I can replace it with a standalone SSD drive.  There is plenty of room.  How is this done?

I have no other free SATA2 ports, so one drive has to come out. 

From what I've read it looks like the only way to do this is pull all the data off the array and destroy it, then rebuild a three-disk RAID5 array.

• 1. Re: How do I remove a a disk from 4-disk RAID5 array?
          john_s@intel

dave,

In the BIOS option ROM, don't you have a selection to "Rest Disks to Non-RAID". This will reset an existing RAID disk, remove it's RAID structures and reset it to a non-RAID disk.

Rest Disks to Non-RAID is used when a specific disk needs to be set back to non-RAID mode. As in your example, in a RAID5 volume, if one disk is set to non-RAID mode, this disk can work in pass-through (non RAID) mode, or join in the configuration of another RAID volume. The RAID5 volume will be in degraded mode due to loss of this disk, and can be rebuilt if another disk joins this RAID5 volume. This feature is useful when specific drive needs to be replaced by another one.

When the "Rest Disks to Non-RAID" action is confirmed, the system should detect both a "Degrade" volume and a disk available for rebuilding (the reset disk). A Degrade window will pop up, asking to select a disk to initiate a rebuild. You can choose to go ahead or cancel that operation.

I strongly recommend backing up your data before you start a process like this. When you degrade a RAID 5, all you need is one disk failure to destroy your data.  A backup is cheap insurance.

Regards,

John

• 2. Re: How do I remove a a disk from 4-disk RAID5 array?
            daveprice74

Oddly, no.  In fact I don't seem to have any RAID options in the F2 BIOS menu, other than to set RAID vs AHCI mode generally (but not for specific disks).

I needed to end up with a three-disk RAID, though, so that wouldn't have helped me anyway.

Happily, I was able to dig a spare SATA port out of my Aurora, so I hooked my new SSD up to that instead of breaking the RAID, and now Windows is fast and the RAID is just for storage so it might be okay.  I still might break the RAID anyway because its performance was so awful, but hopefully not running the OS on it will help.  In that case I'll just wipe everything and switch to RAID 1 (simple mirroring).  Parity seems to confuse IRST.

• 3. Re: How do I remove a a disk from 4-disk RAID5 array?
              john_s@intel

dave,

Sorry I didn't mean the server/mother board BIOS, I meant the RST option ROM configuration. To enter the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology option ROM user interface, press Ctrl-I when prompted during the Power-On Self Test (POST).

For more information, see the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology User Guide.

John

• 4. Re: How do I remove a a disk from 4-disk RAID5 array?
                daveprice74

Hmmm, I don't remember ever seeing that screen.  But I see the IRST guide is from August 2011 and my setup is from July 2010, so that might be why.

• 5. Re: How do I remove a a disk from 4-disk RAID5 array?
                  john_s@intel

The option ROM configuration hasn't changed in quite some time. It's the same for Intel® Matrix legacy software. The lasted dated Jan 2009.

John

• 6. Re: How do I remove a a disk from 4-disk RAID5 array?
                    daveprice74

I mean my POST screen doesn't look like that, there's never been a listing of disks or a  prompt for CTRL-I, my options are F2 for setup and F12 for boot options.  Maybe because it's Alienware?  But I'll try hitting CTRL-I anyway and see if anything happens.