Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Can I use mix SAS and SATA drives in the same enclosure if the only SATA drives are Cachecade SSDs?

CReid1
Beginner

Hi,

A client has the following configuration:

• RS2BL080 with the CacheCade feature key
  • S2600COE motherboard
  • P4308XXMHGC chassis (which includes an enclosure with 8 x 3.5" hot swap bays)

Six of the hot-swap bays are currently populated with RAIDed SAS HDDs. The customer would like to use two SSDs in CacheCade, but they have been unable to purchase SAS SSDs at a reasonable price.

Page 3 of the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/rs2bl080/sb/CS-030637.htm Intel� RAID Controller RS2BL080 — Hardware user's guide states:

Note:Intel recommends that you carefully assess any decision to mix SAS and SATA drives within the same virtual drive. Although you can mix drives within the same virtual drive, Intel strongly discourages the practice. However, you should never mix SAS and SATA drives within the same enclosure.

The customer would like to purchase two Intel DC S3700 series drives, install them in the vacant hot-swap bays, and use them for CacheCade. Will this work?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Skye,

See a good explanation by Rajiv Doolub in the /thread/8127 SASUC8I - Mixing sas and sata same enclosure - Why not ?? community thread.

Regards,

John

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Skye,

See a good explanation by Rajiv Doolub in the /thread/8127 SASUC8I - Mixing sas and sata same enclosure - Why not ?? community thread.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
CReid1
Beginner

Thanks for the quick reply.

Any hope of Intel releasing a SAS SSD?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Skye,

I don't know. I'm primarily involved with Intel Server products. You might want to ask this question over in the /community/tech/solidstate Solid State Drives community.

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Skye,

I've learned that Hitachi GST and Intel signed a joint development agreement in 2008 for enterprise-class SAS SSDs:

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/2008/20081202corp.htm Hitachi GST, and Intel Sign Joint Development Agreement for Enterprise-Class Solid-State Drives

To minimize integration issues, be sure that any drive you choose is validated with your server system.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos