Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Disaster- Matrix Storage Manager set up of RAID 1, Plse Help

idata
Employee

Please help with my stupid disaster! I just added a 1T HDD to my existing (with OS, everything) 1T drive with an aim of setting up a RAID 1. Got into the Intel Matrix Storage ROM Utility *Ctrl I), and create the RAID Volume. I read the Help in Intet's Install forum which said this is possible. But when I was given no choice, I thought it'd just erase the emply new HDD, but :-(, my original 1T drive with OS and all data is now lost. PLEASE help me to recover them if at all possible. Just 1 sec of ignorance, so regretful. Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

apparently I wasn't logged in, so I re-posted my message as me:

============

Hi, Calvin. As long as you haven't done anything to the system since you created the RAID volume that would cause data to be written to the volume (like starting to install an OS - guessing you haven't), since it is a RAID 1, I think you'll be ok.

Use the Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager option ROM to reset the disks in the RAID volume to non-RAID, and then see if you can still access the data on the original hard drive. Since it's RAID 1, the warning message you'll see that says: "all data will be lost - are you sure you want to do this" does not apply.

If you can then access the data, the option you are looking for that preserves your exising data and creates a RAID volume is in the Intel(R) Matrix Storage Console in Windows* - Actions menu -> Create RAID Volume from Existing Hard Drive. This takes the data on the original disk and migrates it across the new RAID volume. The other two options (Create RAID Volume in the OROM and Create RAID Volume in the UI) are for when you don't care what's on the disks and want to start from "scratch". It sounds like the instructions you read may not have been clear on this point.

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Elizabeth, thank you so much. I've not done anything to the HDD and I saw that "Reset to non-RAID" option. I'd try tonite. I live in HK and I was so worried last nite, your message came like an oasis as I stuggle through the dessert without water. You're right, I figured that the Intel instruction on installing RAID when I have an OS disk already was for the software option not the ROM Utility option, but that was too late. Many thanks again and much appreciated.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I tried reseting to Non-RAID (both HDD - i.e. 1 original bootable, and 1 empty), and restart. Unfortunately, it still cannot find boot media. I tried settings using Storage config as RAID, IDE, AHCI. None seems to work. I disconnect the new emnpty drive to make sure that I have only the original boot drive there. It still did not work. I think the data should still be there as both the process of "Create RAID volume" and "Reset to Non-RAID' were done instantly without any physica \l erasing of data. Please help me to retreive it. Very desparate. Many thanks for helping.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've resolved this problem. Move the hard drive to another PC, hook up and run a recovery software (Testdisk), found the partition info, rewrite it and bingo. What a relief. thanks.

0 Kudos