6 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2009 5:25 AM by Aryan2411

No more RAID1 after BIOS update.

Hi

Since I have update the BIOS for my DQ45CB mc, I've a problem with the Raid1 configuration:

- Windows Explorer shows 2 HDD.

- Intel Matrix Storage displays 2 messages (sorry, in french)

"Le module d'extension RAID n'a pas pu être chargé car le pilote n'est pas installé correctement".

"Le module d'extension serialATA n'a pas pu être chargé car le pilote n'est pas installé correctement".

I've restarted the computer 2 times but it's the same.

What is my mystake?

How can I configure the RAID1 again (without saving all)?

Thanks for your help.

Sorry for my poor english.

Regards.

Stéphane

• 1. Re: No more RAID1 after BIOS update.
          Aryan2411

Hi Stephane,

Backup your data before doing any tests and do a CMOS clear.

Go onto the BIOS by pressing F2.
          =========================
          Go to Advanced
          Set Onboard SATA Controller to Enabled
          Set to Configure SATA as RAID
          Save and Exit

Then Press Ctrl + I to go onto the Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM
          =======================================================
          1. All disks need to be NON-RAID - As a precaution, reset all disks to non-raid
          2. Select Create Raid Volume
          3. Enter a name for the Raid Volume
          4. Select Raid 1 for the Raid Level
          5. Select the Volume Capacity
          6. Select Create Volume
          7. Select 'Y' to continue.

You will see your RAID 1 has been created and the status will be normal (font color in green).

9. Select Exit
          10. Select 'Y' to continue.

OS Installation:
          ===========
          For Windows XP and Windows 2003, you will need the driver for the RAID Controller.

If you have an internal floppy disk drive, download the F6 driver from the website below:
          Else you can use Nlite to slipstream the F6 driver with the Operating System, thus creating a new OS CD with the RAID F6 drivers already embedded in it.

Or if you are Windows Vista/Seven, it must be fine to continue with the OS installation.

Then install the drivers (downloaded from the website) in the following order:
          Chipset Driver
          Audio Driver
          GFX Driver
          Lan Driver
          ME Driver
          AMT Driver
          Intel Storage Matrix Manager

Hopefully everything will be fine as i do have the same machine which is runnning fine without any problem.

Note: when updating the bios, you always need to set the drive in the BIOS as RAID again, as the bios is reset to default after the update. And it is always a good thing to set the drive in first priority in the Boot Menu.

Hope this helps a bit.

Kind Regards,
          Aryan.

• 2. Re: No more RAID1 after BIOS update.

Thanks Aryan for your answer.

Yes, I've seen, after posting my first message, that BIOS settings have been changed to IDE instead of RAID.

That was the reason of the loss of the RAID1 configuration.

So I've changed again the setting to RAID but after that, Windows didn't start and displayed this message: "Windows n'a pas pu démarré car le fichier suivant est manquant ou endommagé. ... system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

I've re-instal ntoskrnl.exe, but the message is always there.

I've executed bootcfg \rebuild, without any change.

Is re-installing Windows the only one solution?

Thanks.

Stéphane

• 3. Re: No more RAID1 after BIOS update.
              Aryan2411

Hi Stephane,

To be honest, i did bios update on this board several times, even with a RAID 1 configuration, i never had any problem. So i am a bit confused when you said that you think the bios update caused the problems.

Usually, I always update the bios using these two modes:

Iflash Method or

Recovery Method

I dont go for the Express Method. So far, i know that when you have a RAID controller card and the RAID status is on rebuilding, it is NOT advisable to do a firmware update of the controller.

So, if your raid status was on rebuilding mode and you did a bios update, it may cause problem. (since you are using the onboard controller and when updating the bios, it also updates all other firmware on the board like ME, Raid Oprom etc)

Other than this, i cannot think of any other scenario that happened. Possibly someone else can explain it to you and give you some more light.

Kind Regards,

Aryan

• 4. Re: No more RAID1 after BIOS update.

Hi Aryan and thanks agauin for your help.

I've updated the BIOS using the method recommended by Intel. (under Windows).

I think that if I had re-configured the BIOS before Windows started, I wouldn't have had the problem.

Today, after one (other) hour searching a solution, I've decided to re-instal Windows.

Thanks.

Stéphane

• 5. Re: No more RAID1 after BIOS update.
                  goran_vukovic

Hi Aryan,

Not sure in what capacity you are answering these questions (as an Intel representative or otherwise). Anyway...

Since I got this motherboard several months ago, I had nothing but trouble with RAID and this entire product. Here are my questions:

After BIOS upgrade to CB0083.BIO the RAID manager (that is invoked by CTRL_I after the splash screen) takes long time to arrive to own prompt. Once in, I can activate Create Volume and select volume options. But when I hit ENTER to create the volume, it waits long time and then returns to the top menu without creating any volume. Until recently all of this was working. To mention, the drives are obviously detected as they are listed as Non-Raid. Any ideas why this is happening and perhaps a reference to step by step instructions how to create a RAID0 (I did this more than 50 times in my repeated installation of OS so unsure there would be anything new there).

Secondly, how does one revert to an older version of BIOS with DQ45CB. All my attempts with IFLASH (from Windows or DOS) are ending with utility reporting a failure in updating AM (I think that is the last step) and that BIOS is not changed. Similarly, if I try to reinstall BIOS to the existing version just to confirm all has been installed properly, IFLASH refuses to update claiming the versions are the same.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Goran

• 6. Re: No more RAID1 after BIOS update.
                    Aryan2411

Hi Goran,

To be honest, I have never had this problem on the CB board, I have one which is working fine. I always thought personally that this board was the best among the 4 series family.

Anyway, try to do a bios recovery.

Instructions for Recovery BIOS Updates

Recovery with Formatted USB Stick

1. Copy the recovery file (previous bios version .bio file) (*.bio) to a formatted usb disk.
                    2. Place the usb disk in the target system.
                    3. Shut down the system and unplug AC power.
                    4. Open the chassis and remove the BIOS Configuration Jumper. See the Technical Product Specification for details including the location of this jumper.
                    5. Power the system on.
                    6. Wait 2-5 minutes for the update to complete. When the usb drive LED is lit, the system is copying the recovery code into the FLASH device.
                    7. System will either turn off when the recovery process is completed or it will prompt you to turn off the system.
                    8. Remove usb disk
                    9. Replace the BIOS Configuration Jumper.
                    10. Restart system.

Note: these can be found on:
                    Website: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17197/eng/BIOS%20Update%20Readme.pdf
                    Page 3

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan