12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2010 2:13 AM by dbdbdb

DP45SG does not boot with memory card in card reader

Kermit107

We have a PC with Intel DP45SG board and an internal USB 2.0 Techsolo TCR-1740 card reader.

If the card reader is empty, the board boots without any problem. But if there is a memory card in the card reader (tried with CF, SD and MS), the boot process freezes at the stage labeled "BA".

The DP45SG was shipped with BIOS version 0088. Updating to version 0112 does not fix the problem.

• 1. Re: DP45SG does not boot with memory card in card reader
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

Actually, this is definitely something that you would expect to happen, the reason is because the system find a media and will try to boot on it.

Probably, you may try to disable these settings in the BIOS.
          Go to Boot Menu
          Boot to Removable Devices Disable
          Boot to Network Disable
          USB Boot Disable
          Boot USB Device First Disable
          USB Mass Storage Auto

Actually, i know some people who make the SD card bootable using some dos bootable tool and boot onto the SD card.

Post Error Code BA: Detecting presence of a removable media (IDE, CD-ROM detection, etc.)

Let me know how it goes.

Kind Regards,
          Aryan.

• 2. Re: DP45SG does not boot with memory card in card reader
            Kermit107

We tried several combinations of the boot options (all enabled, all disabled, ...) without success before my first posting.

I think, the DP45SG has problems with all in one card readers. If we connect a single format CF card reader (extreMEmory US5C1J), the DP45SG is booting with and without CF card at all BIOS boot options.

• 3. Re: DP45SG does not boot with memory card in card reader
              Aryan2411

Hi Kermit,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Actually, one of my friend tried this on his system at home DP45SG, and he used a USB Memory Card Reader.

When the memory card is left in the reader, the system is stuck on POST, and it is even impossible to go into the BIOS.

The only way to make the system work is to disconnect the power and reconnect the power cable, and remove the memory card from the reader.

I will try the memory card reader on another system to see if it behaves the same, I mean a completely differently system. I will let you know the result soon.

Regarding your board, hopefully, there will be some update soon.

Kind Regards,

Aryan

• 4. Re: DP45SG does not boot with memory card in card reader
                Feroz

I have the same problem, except it is not with a memory card reader it is to do with an external usb hard drive, I have ocz ram which I had to overvolt in the bios to a start voltage of 1.7, ever since then the pc does not start while the hdd is plugged in on boot but boots when removed, also, very strange behaviour , when powering up, the box makes a horrible noise (powering up the system fans at maximum speed) switches on for a few seconds then off,starts again, gets stuck on post at ba,  I need to reset for the PC to start normally , another issue I am having is, I do not want to overvolt the CPU or Overclock, I mention this because i have a Coolermaster V8 Cpu cooler which has fan speed switch, the speed of the fan is from 800-1800 Rpm via the switch,while the switch is on high the fan is only spining at a maximum of 938 as shown in the bios, The integrator toolkit never seems to update the bios or the boot splash screen, I have to use the express bios update method. And finally there is no Intel Audio Studio software for this board, why? and the Desktop control centre is Beta, Extreme Series?

• 5. Re: DP45SG does not boot with memory card in card reader
                  isit

Hi Feroz,

have you checked your bios settings - there are 3 usb settings for you to check

usb boot - disable

boot usb devices first - disable

check the boot order to ensure that it reflects what you expect - check normal and advanced

have you checked compatibity on the ocz?

I would recommend using the recovery method to update your bios as per the instructions on the support site here -

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-022312.htm

I believe Intel Audio Studio was only available on older boards like the 965 chipsets

it was good I agree

good luck

isit

• 6. Re: DP45SG does not boot with memory card in card reader
                    Aryan2411

Hi Feroz,

Hopefully, Intel will find a fix for this very soon. I am sure that investigation is being done on this. You can raise a note to the Intel Customer Support if you want.

Website: http://supportmail.intel.com/scripts-emf/welcome.aspx?id=37

I will definitely advise you to use tested memory and cpu and dont overclock any voltages as it voids your warranty also.

Website: http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dp45sg/sb/CS-029151.htm

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan

• 7. Re: DP45SG does not boot with memory card in card reader
                      Feroz

Thanks for your replies isit and Aryan, I have been in the game a while and do know my setting in terms of bios and what is on and off, and my proceure does not include any external media, my guess is this board was rushed by Intel and therefore the usb glitches and many other bios glitches,I have a theory on the usb side, unplug the FPUSB and see if it works, The OCZ ram defaults to JEDEC spec since this board does not go over anything but 1333, if you read the bios info from intel's bios updates that the updates are to adress issues with OCZ ram and other serious faults,also the front port audio, If you plug in the ac97 one you get a popping of audio and cutouts, so you have to plug in the HD audio if you have one, (another glitch!) no feedback circuit, Toms hardware forums is a great place for the low down on all the people who had and are having issues with this board,I just had to vent on these since I spent a lot of time any money on this build than I should have.

P.S. If I can be of help regarding the Skyberg board lemme know

Thanks Guys

• 8. Re: DP45SG does not boot with memory card in card reader
                        tournesol

DP45SG POST process freezing.

Having the same problem with a Seagate Freeagent external drive, I just wanted to point out that the problem started with the update to v 0112 and continued with update to v 0116, but POST worked fine with v 0088. I hope this comment  might help the experts to identify the source or cause of the problem.

• 9. Re: DP45SG does not boot with memory card in card reader
                          Feroz

I have the same hard drive, and my bios version is the same,however my ram voltage is 1.7v, and latley my computer does not shut down, running windows 7, I have set the option in bios for let the cpu control fan speed to off so that the,  coolermasteer V8 cpu cooler works with it's speed switch at full speed, since this change the system ,on shutdown does not switch of the box, only the monitor.

• 10. Re: DP45SG does not boot with memory card in card reader
                            Aryan2411

Hi Tournesol,

Thank you for letting know on this, I am sure that this will be of great help for others.

Hopefully, there will be a fix for this in the future bios.

Regards,

Aryan

• 11. Re: DP45SG does not boot with memory card in card reader
                              Feroz

Latest BIOS 0121 and still not fixed

• 12. Re: DP45SG does not boot with memory card in card reader
                                dbdbdb

Hi Kermit,

I too had a similar problem with a USB 2.0 external (IO Gear) card reader.  With or without a card loaded, the system would past POST then sit there and do nothing.  I find it easier to leave the external device unplugged and then plug it in while I am in Windows when I need it.

db