5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2013 12:53 PM by Dan_Intel

dq45cb and pci-e fail

alan laird

Hi,

I've installed an LSI PCI-e v2 x8 card in the x16 slot on this board.  It doesn't appear to be working.  I'm not seeing the LSI Megaraid banner and I'm not seeing the device probed by a current centos.

I've updated this motherboard to the latest BIOS and nothing has improved.

Is there any BIOS setting that would help the motherboard detect this card?

Thanks,

Alan

• 1. Re: dq45cb and pci-e fail
          Dan_Intel

Hello Alan,

The graphics card should be detected once connected to the board. Our recommendation is testing with a different card to narrow the issue and contact LSI to confirm if they have any compatibility issue reports from their side with this specific board.

• 2. Re: dq45cb and pci-e fail
            alan laird

Hi Dan,

This is an LSI SAS disk controller.  LSI SAS3442E-R.

I'm not seeing the text banner from the LSI card asking me if I want to configure disks.

Thanks,

Alan

• 3. Re: dq45cb and pci-e fail
              alan laird

Hi Dan,

Any thoughts on this?  I've tried a couple different LSI controllers and seen the same issue where the typical LSI boot-time text and option to configure drives is not presented.

I am using the blue adapter that came with the system to use the integrated VGA.  I read something about the onboard graphics (IGD) being disabled when using the x16 slot.

Should I try installing a PCI video card in this system and disabling the IGD?  Would that allow it to properly initialize pci-e cards?

Thanks,

Alan

• 4. Re: dq45cb and pci-e fail
                alan laird

I pulled the cards, configured bios for pci video, installed an old pci video card and saw the system come up to boot.  I added the LSI SAS card back into the pci-e slot and it failed.

The system took about 3 minutes to POST and when it finally did, the video had moved back to the blue dvi port on the motherboard.  I looked in BIOS and it was still configured for pci video.

It feels like the logic supporting the pci-e slot is a little half-baked and when detected a card, overrode the pci video setting and switched the IGD back on which conflicts with the pci-e slot being used for anything.

• 5. Re: dq45cb and pci-e fail
                  alan laird

Hi Dan,

Just to set my expectations, are you looking into this?  I haven't seen anything after your first post so it's not clear.

Thanks,

Alan

• 6. Re: dq45cb and pci-e fail
                    Dan_Intel

Hello alan,

We regret to inform you that seems to be a compatibility issue and there is no much troubleshooting we can try at this point, we apologize. Intel will stand behind its products but we cannot guarantee compatibility with any and every other product available on the market reason why we recommend testing with a different card to narrow the issue properly.