4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2013 12:44 PM by kevin_intel

Intel Rapid storage ou START Technology : newbies questions

yan3560

Hello,

first excuse me for my horrible english and my newbies questions. J post from France and j'm not a geek.

I have 2 thems with the installation and utilisation of Intel Rapid Start Technology or Intel Rapid storage Technology (is it the same thing ?)

Can you help me with simple anwsers for a best understanding for me ?

First, J have a laptop HP DV6 running with Win8 64-bit. I have no SSD and no RAID of course

I installed by mistake Intel Rapid Storage Technology v. 11.7.0.1013.

Question 1: is this driver necessary for my laptop or can it engender dysfunctions ?

Questions 2: If it's not necessary, how uninstall the driver without danger ? I made a try but I stop processing when a message says to me (simplified):  “it's dangerous and you can't uninstall this driver witch controls your system”.

In the second place, I build a desktop for the first time.

The MB is a ASUS P8Z77-V with a SSD for the OS and a HDD for data.

Question A: In this desktop, I think Intel Rapid Start Technology is nécessary (for SSD) but informations of the dowload page (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20707&ProdId=3409&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20%2864-bit%29*&DownloadType= ) explain in “Detailed Description” to use these files for RAID configuration only, yet I not have no it. So do theses files necessary for me ?

Question B : If Intel RST is necessary, J saw that the last version v. 11.7.0.1013.have a problem ( http://communities.intel.com/message/178303) and your colleague recommends use the previously released version (10.6.0.1022) of the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology.

For my desktop, have I  to  use 11.7.0.1013 or 10.6.0.1022 version and what is  the good download page ? Also I see that a floppy disk is  necessary to install IRST (files F6 ....)

Is there a file of installation not using a floppy reader and where?

Question C: I'm lost with various files and prcesssing. For exemple there is 3 files for 10.6.0.1022 version or your download site: 1 for driver 64 bits x64 , 1 for 32 bits x86 and another file STOR_allOS xxxxxx.

If I put of quoted the file for 32 bits, what files may install ? I suppose in this case, first and third but how can I do after. Start the STOR_allOS xxxxxx first and F6 files driver 64 bits x64 after ?

And after, there is other thing to do in particular on the SSD?

Question D: In the bios of my motherboard, there is some intel utility in PCH configuration page.

INTEL RAPID START TECHNOLOGY is disable. J suppose J may turn on enable ? Correct ?

But there is also INTEL SMARTCONNECT TECHNOLOGY with is also disable. May I turn on anable also?

So, still excuse I for all these « stupid » questions and for my english (I was really sad to write all this and hope that it is understandable).

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Cordially

• 1. Re: Intel Rapid storage ou START Technology : newbies questions
          yan3560

Hello

There is not anybody to light me and guide me?

I need your help to understand well and not make error in the assembly and the installation of my PC

Thank you in advance

• 2. Re: Intel Rapid storage ou START Technology : newbies questions
            yan3560

Hello,

Always no answer.

I am surprised.

My English is it so bad ?

Somebody can at least say to me if my questions are understandable?

Thank you in advance

• 3. Re: Intel Rapid storage ou START Technology : newbies questions
              yan3560

OK I know now that I well am understood.

Without answer, you can consider the subject as closed.

• 4. Re: Intel Rapid storage ou START Technology : newbies questions
                kevin_intel

Hello Yan3560,

I understand you have several questions like the difference between the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and the Intel® Rapid Start technology. Besides this you also have some more questions that I will answer and I hope are useful for you.

It is important to mention that Intel® Rapid Storage Technology is software package that provides high-performance Serial ATA (SATA) and SATA RAID capabilities for supported operating systems. This application will allow you to manage the RAID inside the operating system.

When using Intel® Rapid Storage Technology is necessary to have the Chipset mode set as RAID in order for the software to work properly in the system.

You can get the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology user guide in the following link:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020670.htm

Also you can get more information about the software from the following link:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020784.htm

In the other hand, Intel® Rapid Start technology is software that will use a hibernation partition on a SSD to accelerate the operating system without the need of having a RAID volume.

You can get the Intel® Rapid Start Technology manual from the following link:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-033637.htm

Note that the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver is important if you have a RAID configuration and if you would like to uninstall the software or driver, you can do it from the Control Panel > Uninstall Programs. The system probably will show a message when trying to uninstall it but it is just a standard notification.

The SSDs normally are used in systems to accelerate the HDD. In your case since you have the operating system installed in the SSD it is not possible to use the acceleration feature since the SSD runs by default as if it was already accelerated.  So if you do not have a RAID configuration I would say the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology is not necessary for your system.

If you decide to create RAID volume, since your motherboard that uses an Intel® 7 series chipset, you can download the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology version 11.6 that should work just fine with your system.

You can download it from the following link:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21860&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208%2C%2064-bit*&DownloadType=Drivers

You will notice that when you get to the download page, there are three files. One is for x64.zip the other one is for x86.zip and another one .exe. The Zip files are for software developers that needs just a specific file from the driver. The .exe file is the executable file that you can run and go through an installation wizard.

Also not that the Intel® Rapid Start technology needs to be enabled on the BIOS to have the feature working. You may find another feature like Intel® Smart Connect that needs to be enabled in the BIOS in order to use it.

As mentioned before, If you use Intel® Rapid Storage Technology you need to set the Chipset mode under the BIOS as RAID but by doing this the Intel® Rapid Start technology will not work since this feature requires having the chipset mode set as AHCI. This means that you can use one feature at the time only.