1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 15, 2013 11:30 AM by kevin_intel

migrating from RAID 1 to RAID 5

Paul Brinich

I have an HP pavilion with

Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller

Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C26

Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C2D

I've been running a RAID 1 array with two 1.5 TB hard drives and would like to add a third 1.5 TB drive so that I can convert my RAID from 1 to 5.

What are the steps that I must take to do this without losing any data? I do have a recent image file of the RAID array.

There's a bit of RAID software that loads with or just after the BIOS. Then there's Intel's Rapid Storage Technology Software (which allows me to manage the RAID array).

I presume I will have to format the new hard drive before adding it to the array.

With that done, I will shut down, restart, and use ctrl-I to get into the RAID configuration software that follows the BIOS. It's been a long time since I poked around in there, but I assume it will take note of the new drive and ask me what I want to do with it. Perhaps everything will be illuminated . . . but just in case you have any suggestions or hints, I'd be most grateful for same.

• 1. Re: migrating from RAID 1 to RAID 5
          kevin_intel

Hello Paul,

I understand you need assistance to migrate a RAID 1 to RAID 5.

Please note that there are a couple of ways to change your RAID 1 and convert to RAID 5

1. 1. Reset disks to non RAID then recreate everything from scratch. Sine you have a RAID 1 setup, by setting the disks to non RAID, all information will be saved in the Hard Disk Drives.
          2. 2. Install the latest Rapid Storage Technology software and modify the volume.

Here you have the path to change it using the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology software:

- Main screen go to Manage, then click on Change type, there you can select and modify to RAID 5.

Note that when migrating from RAID 1 to RAID 5 the system automatically should include the format in the new Hard Disk Drive so it is not necessary to format the disk.

1. Thanks.