2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2013 9:00 AM by ultrapipboy

Fresh DZ77GA-70K with stock BIOS. What is the ideal process to update?

ultrapipboy

I am receiving my 2nd* new DZ77GA-70K for a Windows 8 64-Bit build. I was advised by an Intel support agent that I should not update from the stock BIOS (1st release) all the way up to the most recent BIOS (GA0063.BIO) because I would not be receiving all of the past fixes and the motherboard would not function properly. I am naive when it comes to BIOS updates. I'm capable of doing the F7 flash method and am looking for community input on the best strategy for a stable and up-to-date motherboard.

The Intel support agent recommended that I flash 21, 45, 57, 61, and then 63. Thoughts on this method? Other advice out there?

*After experiencing a fatal post code 12 and being unable to recover the board.

• 1. Re: Fresh DZ77GA-70K with stock BIOS. What is the ideal process to update?
          m6bigdog

The BIOS Readme and Release Notes have yet to indicate the need to increment any of the BIOS upgrades to date.

Therefore, I would assume it is not necessary.

Given the issues that can occur with a BIOS flash, I would not go through the process more than necessary, to include a BIOS upgrade without a specific fix for your System indicated in the Release Notes.

I went from 21 to 61 without any issues. I do have a internal USB3.0 port that has yet to work, but I assume that is unrelated to the BIOS increment issue.

I suggest setting the BIOS CMOS to the default settings prior to completing an F7 upgrade.

• 2. Re: Fresh DZ77GA-70K with stock BIOS. What is the ideal process to update?
            rbmorse

I agree with the dog.  The support agent who recommended that you apply BIOS updates sequentially needs some retraining.

BIOS updates are cumulative...i.e., the latest release includes all of the changes made in previous releases (excepted as noted in the release notes document).

My personal experience with the GA-70K has been that BIOS 0063 is desirable.  It fixes issues with the Marvell (secondary) SATA disk controller and some oddness in the USB subsystem (at least for me),  among other things.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Fresh DZ77GA-70K with stock BIOS. What is the ideal process to update?
              ultrapipboy

Thanks to m6bigdog and rbmorse for your replies. I will not be following the sequential  BIOS update like was suggested by Intel. I will aim for a flash to 63 and then keep my fingers crossed that it is stable for all that I need it for. It's good to know that Intel includes the updated firmware for this MB and even better to get solid help from the community.

From the release notes (GA_0063):

About This Release:

• Date: January 29, 2013

• ME Firmware: 8.1.20.1336

• Integrated Graphics Option ROM: Build 2143

• SATA RAID Option ROM: v11.6.0.1702

• LAN Option ROM: v1.4.03 PXE

• Visual BIOS version 1.2.3