2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2009 2:27 PM by farce

D975XBX2 Marvell 88SE6145 driver update

Have 4 drives on ICH7 in RAID 0, and two drives on the Marvell 88SE6145 SATA, neither in RAID.

The Boot drive is on the Marvell 88SE6145.  I installed with the Marvell RAID driver to take advantage

of AHCI capabilites.    I am currently showing driver version 1.2.0.51.   I want ot update this to

version 1.2.0.60, based on some information I have that it would clear up some issues I am having.

Is this drive one of those which nicely install within the WinXP environment, or do I need to install

during a repair install.   I ask this because the driver download site has only version 1.2.0.51 for

floppy F6 install, but has an EXE download for 1.2.0.60.

I tried running the EXE for 1.2.0.60, but it just seemed to install another instance of Apache and the

Marvell MRU.  But not driver update seemed to have occured.   I am a but skittish as this is my

boot drive.

Any information would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: D975XBX2 Marvell 88SE6145 driver update
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

I used the Bad Axe 2 D975XBX2 board quite a few times. And to be honest, it is a very good board.

This board comes with:
          4 Black Sata Ports which uses the Intel Matrix controller
          3 Blue  Sata ports which uses the Marvell Controller

1 Red E-sata port which uses the Marvell Controller.

The Marvell 88SE6145 controller supports single drive non-RAID configurations as well as RAID configurations.
          The discrete SATA interface supports the following RAID levels:
          • RAID 0
          • RAID 1

So to be able to use the drives connected on the blue sata ports and take advantage of the AHCI capabilities, the drives needs to be configured as RAID or if not, you can have a system with RAID ready.

RAID Ready means:
          Enable the SATA controller as RAID without creating a RAID on the drive.
          Then load the particular F6 driver for the respective controller.
          Install the Operating System.
          Install the Marvell Utility.
          If in the future, you want to connect two other drives on the blue sata ports and use it as RAID, you will be able to create a RAID on the two drives (not the OS drive) using the Marvell Utility.

Right now, in your scenario, the best thing to do is to backup your OS drive which is on the blue SATA port.
          Enable the SATA controller as RAID without creating a RAID on the drive.
          Then load the particular F6 driver for the respective controller.
          Install the Operating System.
          Install the Marvell Utility.

I did this last time on my machine and it works great. Actually, the good thing on Marvell Controller, t allows you to create a RAID 0 on a single drive only, this is not possible on Intel Matrix Controller. The Intel Matrix controller is also good.

Anyway i have attached some files as a reference.
          Website: http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d975xbx2/

Kind Regards,
          Aryan.

• 2. Re: D975XBX2 Marvell 88SE6145 driver update
            farce

Hi Bill,

The latest version of the marvell driver is the 1.2.0.51 wich is just the driver (.inf file), the version 1.2.0.60 which is the .exe file is only the software and does not provide any update for the .inf file. What happens is that most of the people download that file thinking that it will update everything related to the marvell controller but in this case will not, this .exe only includes the software.

Hope this information was useful for you!