5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2015 9:49 AM by allan_intel

DH77DF bios update warnings/lessons

Dave

I have solved my bios problem (see below) but if any Intel personnel see this I hope the next version of bios for this board will support HDMI/1080 video CPU-based graphics.

For anyone else who may be interested:

After much trouble/research/trial and error I'd like to warn everyone to NOT use the Windows bios update procedure. Rather use the F7 on boot procedure if you want to update your bios. Also BIOS version 0107 does not seem to support HDMI 1080 video (connected to my plasma TV). I use CPU based video output and I have to connect an old DVI, 1024x768 resolution monitor to access the bios. Otherwise, pressing F2 just reboots my system.

Further after the Windows procedure failed and my bios was corrupted here is how I was FINALLY able to restore my bios.

I got most of this info from here so thanks to the original poster:

Re: DH77KC BIOS update killed my machine

Download the EARLIEST bios version (I used 0069) .BIO file and copy it all by itself to a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive.

Shut down your computer and disconnect the power cable.

Completely remove the jumper from the bios jumper block (see your manual). This puts the bios into recovery mode.

Disconnect the battery on the motherboard. I don't know how long but I waited about 15 minutes.

Disconnect ALL SATA drives from motherboard.

Reconnect the battery, put the USB flash in a USB2 slot. (Don't know for sure if that matters but it worked for me).

Connect to power and boot.

If your flash drives had a light it should light up and may flash. While my unit was flashing the bio the front power LED flashed. It takes quite a while--maybe up to 60 minutes. If any LEDs on your computer/board are flashing leave it alone.

After my power LED stopped flashing, I shut down my computer (it actually my have shut down by itself, I can't remember).

I removed the flash drive, disconnected the power, replaced the bios jumper to position 1-2, reconnected my SATA drives, reconnected the power and booted up. F2 sent me back to the bios!

Pertaining to my info in the first paragraph, the 0069 bios worked with my HDMI/TV connection. After that I DID upgrade to the 0107 bios using the F7 boot method with just the 0107 .BIO file on a flash drive but I have to connect an old monitor via DVI in order to access the with F2. Hopefully the next version of the bios will support HDMI/1080 resolution.

• 1. Re: DH77DF bios update warnings/lessons
          Victor_Intel

Hello Dave, you are correct about the F7 method being safer than the executable version as this does not have an operating system involved that may not be working fine.

In regards of the steps that the other customer made, those are usually recommended when a BIOS update went bad, the only correction or modification that I would do is the 15 minutes that he waited with no CMOS battery should be around 30-60  minutes and the time that he waited for the BIOS recovery should not be that long, its usually enough to leave it for 10 minutes.

its nice to hear that your system is working fine again and now that you are familiar with the F9 BIOS update, you can continue to update the BIOS using this method.

Regards.

• 2. Re: DH77DF bios update warnings/lessons
            geoffc

I would second not using the executable version. It managed to brick my board. I spent hours trying to get it working again. Eventually succeeded using the instructions referred to in Dave's thread. Intel should probably remove the executable option as it seems to have caused problems for many people.

• 3. Re: DH77DF bios update warnings/lessons
              Yugga

Hi,

I had the same issue with 0108 bios : pressing F2 did not work when I use a high resolution screen (1920x1200). But I also have a spare low resolution screen that I used to update BIOS with latest (0110). This time, the F7 method has been preferred but the software version should be equivalent. The F2 key now works with high resolution screen but graphics is a 'old school' version not modern one.

I believe that version of bios is the main factor and the way the update is done may not impact result, to be confirmed by other users and tests.

Thank you for your help, it is good to find clues when we are facing issues.

• 4. Re: DH77DF bios update warnings/lessons
                allan_intel

Thanks for sharing this information.

Allan.

• 5. Re: DH77DF bios update warnings/lessons
                  N.Scott.Pearson

This has been explained before but I guess people don't read everything they should...

Regardless of the method that you use to initiate the update of the BIOS, the process is identical,

1. The BIO file is loaded into RAM.
                  2. The machine is (soft) rebooted.
                  3. The BIOS, during POST, sees the BIO file sitting in RAM and initiates its installation.

This install-after-reboot process is used to secure the update process. It helps prevent the installation of rogue updates containing viruses, trojans, etc. and/or updates that purposefully corrupt the BIOS operation and configuration.

There are three method for updating the BIOS,

1. (BIOS environment) During POST, the <F7> key is used to initiate the BIOS installation process. In this case, the BIOS presents a dialog for selecting the BIO file to be used. The selected BIO file is loaded into RAM and the system is (soft) rebooted.
                  2. (DOS environment) After booting to DOS (MSDOS, PCDOS, FREEDOS, etc.), the IFLASH tool is invoked. In this case, the IFLASH tool loads the BIO file into RAM and the system is (soft) rebooted.
                  3. (Windows environment) An Express BIOS Update (EBU) executable is invoked. In this case, the BIO file that is encapsulated within the EBU executable is loaded into RAM and the system is (soft) rebooted.

Bottom line - and I want to be clear about this - there is no difference in what happens across the possible methods. The process is identical. No method is any better or any worse than any other. The only difference is in the runtime environment that is used to initiate the process. If you see a problem after initiating an update, it is not because of the method (or runtime environment) used; it is because of the state (and configuration) of the existing BIOS and the state of the new BIOS; it would have occurred regardless of the initiation method chosen.

Next, let's talk about the BIOS Recovery process. The only difference in this process is that, because the BIOS jumper has been removed, the Recovery BIOS is initiated instead of the Main BIOS. The Recovery BIOS implements the identical 3-step process used by the other methods. The difference is that the Recovery BIOS does not impose the same set of restrictions on the update performed. This is why it can be used to install an older version of the BIOS. Note the following:

• Restrictions on the update of the Management Engine (ME) Firmware remain in place. It is possible for a specific release of the ME firmware to prevent any previous release of the ME firmware from being installed.
                  • The recovery process, because it allows older BIOSs to be installed, does not guarantee that the user's BIOS configuration is valid and fully applicable to the newly installed BIOS. If you use the recovery method, you should always go into BIOS Setup and (1) use the <F9> key to reset the BIOS configuration to defaults and then (2) customize as you require for your hardware/runtime configuration.

...Scott