Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Is that a GLSL 330 / GL 3.3 (core profile) bug in Intel HD 4000?

idata
Employee

Cross-posting from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14834180/why-does-this-glsl-shader-work-fine-with-a-geforce-but-flickers-strangely-on-an StackOverflow:

Using OpenGL 3.3 core profile, I'm rendering a full-screen "quad" (as a single oversized triangle) via **gl.DrawArrays(gl.TRIANGLES, 0, 3)** with the following shaders.

Vertex shader:

# version 330 core # line 1 vec4 vx_Quad_gl_Position () { const float extent = 3; const vec2 pos[3] = vec2[](vec2(-1, -1), vec2(extent, -1), vec2(-1, extent)); return vec4(pos[gl_VertexID], 0, 1); } void main () { gl_Position = vx_Quad_gl_Position(); }

Fragment shader:

# version 330 core # line 1 out vec3 out_Color; vec3 fx_RedTest (const in vec3 vCol) { return vec3(0.9, 0.1, 0.1); } vec3 fx_Grayscale (const in vec3 vCol) { return vec3((vCol.r * 0.3) + (vCol.g * 0.59) + (vCol.b * 0.11)); } void main () { out_Color = fx_RedTest(out_Color); out_Color = fx_Grayscale(out_Color); }

Now, the code may look a bit odd and the present purpose of this may seem useless, but that shouldn't phase the GL driver as long as it's correct.

On a GeForce, a get a gray screen as expected. That is, the "grayscale effect" applied to the hard-coded color "red" (0.9, 0.1, 0.1).

However, Intel HD 4000 [driver 9.17.10.2932 (12-12-2012) version -- the newest as of today] always, repeatedly shows nothing but the following constantly-flickering noise pattern:

Now, just to experiment a little, I changed the fx_Grayscale() function around a little bit -- effectively it should be yielding the same visual result, just with slightly different coding:

vec3 fx_Grayscale (const in vec3 vCol) { vec3 col = vec3(0.9, 0.1, 0.1); col = vCol; float x = (col.r * 0.3) + (col.g * 0.59) + (col.b * 0.11); return vec3(x, x, x); }

Again, Nvidia does the correct thing whereas Intel HD now always, repeatedly produces a rather different, but still constantly-flickering noise pattern:

Must I suspect an Intel GL driver bug, or do you see any issues with my GLSL code -- not from a prettiness perspective (it's part of a shader code-gen experimental project) but from a mere spec-correctness point of view?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Hello,

Let me check what would be the proper channel to forward this information or get the appropriate person to work with you on this matter.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

As per the SO thread:

I read from an "out" variable. Once I changed the shader code to only write to the outColor variable and have a separate local vec3 for read-write access, the issue was gone.

But -- seems like that's still a GL/GLSL implementation bug (ie. to-be-fixed) in Intel HD's driver: it is legal to read from an out global variable in a shader. Now it may not be zeroed --fine-- but in the given shader code, the first thing that happens to the out var is a write access, even though it gets passed as an inout into a function first for that.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@metaleap

We have replicated this issue and are currently working to fix the issue. Thank you for identifying the issue and bringing it to our attention.

0 Kudos