Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14575 Discussions

Looking for a little insight....

idata
Employee

I recently finished a new build. I have the Intel Core 2 Duo 8400 wolfdale processor. I'm already thinking about going to the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650. Are there any issues that may arise? I have and Asus P5N-D motherboard which will accomodate either. Will there be any issues with my windows vista home prem. detecting a different cpu? Or any other issues that may come up. i haven't made the purchase of the quad pcu, yet. I'm just trying to look ahead. Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
HERBERT_H_Intel
Employee

vista MAY want to activate again.

but as far as compatibility is concerned, you only need to worry whether the motherboard is compatible with the CPU and thats it.

OJ

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've already checked my board specs and compatibility. They are supposed to be compatible. Thx for your help....

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

another question from you...if I may. Thermal paste...is it applied at the factory or do I nee to apply some myself? If so, how show I go about appling it? To what parts and how much is recommended. I was thinking of ordering some artic silver thermal paste when I ordered the new processor. What's your thoughts on aftermarket heatsinks and fans for the cpu? My stock core 2 duo 8400 wolfdale idles around 41-42 C, with a load it'll get up to 48-50C. I'm going upto the core 2 quad Q9650.

0 Kudos
HERBERT_H_Intel
Employee

well... you need thermal paste.

a pea-size amount should be enough.

OJ

0 Kudos