3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2013 1:26 PM by tmsimmon

New CPU for Asus PW5 DH Deluxe motherboard

Joe

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU with a new quad core unit and I'd like to know what what my options are in the LGA775 architecture and my older motherboard.  The motherboards specs are as follows:

CPU

Intel® Quad-core CPU Ready
      LGA775 socket for Intel® Pentium 4/Celeron CPU
      Support Inte Pentium® Processor Extreme Edition & Intel Pentium® D Processor
      Support Intel 65nm, Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme
      Compatible with Intel 05B/ 05A and 04B/04A processors
      Intel EM64T and Hyper-Threading Technology ready

Chipset

• Intel 975X
        Intel ICH7R

Front Side Bus1066/ 800 MHz

I've seen reasonable prices on the Q8300 but I worry that it's not compatible with my lower speed FSB.  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: New CPU for Asus PW5 DH Deluxe motherboard
          Alvaro_Intel

Thank you. In this case, the compatibility will be related to the motherboard. Only the motherboard manufacturer will be able to provide a list of the compatible processors as they are more familiar with motherboard specifications.

• 2. Re: New CPU for Asus PW5 DH Deluxe motherboard
            tmsimmon

http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P5W_DH_Deluxe/#support_CPU

ASUS site shows support for the Core 2 Quad 8300 (rev.E0, 2.50GHz with BIOS 2103 also has an FAQ for Optional Support for 45nm CPUs.

• 3. Re: New CPU for Asus PW5 DH Deluxe motherboard
              sarah75acz

hi tsimmon,

I have similar Asus motherboard but I would like to know please which are the so-called " 05B 05A and 04B04A Processors".

Where I could find a full list of those CPUs?

Thank you.

Best regards

Sarah P

• 4. Re: New CPU for Asus PW5 DH Deluxe motherboard
                tmsimmon

Short story is: go to your Motherboard vendors site and look for Supported Processors.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5W_DH_Deluxe/#support_CPU

Long story is:

Platform Compatibility Guide
                To reduce confusion in proper motherboard selection, Intel has created a compatibility naming convention called, Platform Compatibility Guide. "05B" and "05A" will be the first Platform Compatibility Guides for the Pentium D processor. (Future specifications will use similar Platform Capability Guides where the first two digits represent the year the Guide is introduced and the 3rd digit stands for the market segment. "A" applies to processors that fall in the Mainstream 2, 1 and Value market segments; where "B" applies to processors that fall in the Performance and Mainstream 3 market segments. Intel product dealers can view the Desktop Processor Roadmap which shows which processors fall under the various market segments. Additionally, Platform Compatibility Guide information for a specific processor can be found on the S-Spec Reference Table and the Product Specifications and Comparisons tool)

All of the Boxed Intel® Pentium® D processors in the FC-LGA4 package will have markings on the box with either, "Platform Compatibility 05B" or "Platform Compatibility 05A". See figure 4 for an example of how processors will be marked.

Motherboards that support processors with the Platform Compatibility Guide (PCG) 05B specification will support processors with the PCG 05B and 05A. In other words Motherboards designed to PCG 054B are backwards compatible with 05A processors. Motherboards that only support processors with the PCG 05A will not support PCG 05B processors. These motherboards have been designed to provide customers with a lower cost platform.

Platform Compatibility Guides do not promise compatibility. Platform Compatibility Guides specify likely motherboard compatibility with processor electrical requirements. Compatible BIOS, drivers, hardware, and operating system are required.

Additionally, a BIOS upgrade may be required in order to properly recognize and initialize the latest stepping of the Pentium D processor. Motherboards must also meet the electrical and mechanical specifications of the Pentium D processor, as documented in the Datasheet.

Figure 4. Platform Compatibility Guide Location On Box

Figure 4.

It's the perfect time to get a new system, prices are good and the performance is much better. Many of these older processors are hard to find and if you do find them they are more expensive and no longer supported by Intel.