2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2013 11:30 AM by m6bigdog

DZ77GA-70K -  Internal Front Panel USB Connectors Not working

m6bigdog

The problem I have is that only one of the USB port on the dual port internal connector works and it is the opposite port on the internal X & Y connectors.

My mother board also has the USB Power Surge problem (false over current message)with the internal USB3.0 connectors and some times it will require a reset of USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports when the system wakes up from sleeping.  Apparenty I will need to return the MoBo for the G39009-500 version to solve this problem

I assume this is a separate issue:

I used the Front Panel 3-1/2" Bay USB3.0 module that is supplied with the MoBo to test both internal X & Y USB3.0 connectors.

In the DZ77GA-70K TechProdSpec03 document page 53 they are designated as items X & Y.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20956/eng/dz77ga-70k_TechProdSpec03.pdf

The symptom is, when I plug the USB3.0 Module into one of the two internal USB3.0 connectors only one of the USB3.0 connector on the front panel module will recognize the the USB drive and it is the opposite front panel port for each internal connector.

I also have a Silverstone FP37 3-1/2" Front Bay module with Memory Card Reader and USB3.0 ports and when it is plugged into the internal Y connector the panel power light doesn't even come on and none of the ports work.  However, when it is plugged into the internal X connector the power light is on, all the card reader ports work but the USB drive port is dead, USB drive light doesn't flash.

Is this a known problem?

Is there something I've overlooked in the installation?

I have all the USB hubs/devices enabled in the BIOS.

In Device Manager - USB Controllers - I have only one USB 3.0 eXtensible Hub and one USB 3.0 Root Hub should there be two of each?

• 2. Re: DZ77GA-70K -  Internal Front Panel USB Connectors Not working
          Victor_Intel

Hello m6bigdog,

I recommend you to load your BIOS defaults and update the BIOS via F7 method. If the problem continues please contact your local warranty support to get assistance on replacing your motherboard.

Regards.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 3. Re: DZ77GA-70K -  Internal Front Panel USB Connectors Not working
            m6bigdog

Victor,

Thanks for your suggestion! it worked-kinda.

After re-flashing BIOS 61 with the default CMOS setting, both ports in the dual port internal USB3.0 connector work with the Front Panel 3-1/2" Bay dual USB3.0 module that is supplied with the MoBo.

However, the single A-style USB thumb drive port on the Silverstone FP37 3-1/2" Front Bay module has yet to work with a USB drive.  The memory card reader ports work but the USB thumb drive port does not.

The only change with the FB37 is the drive light on the USB3.0 thumb drive does flash once but a drive folder does not open in explorer.

FB37 is a USB3.0 hub on one of the internal connector ports for the 5 front panel card reader slots (5 drive Icons show in Explorer - 1 for each of the 5 card reader slots), however the other internal port should be connected directly to the A style USB3.0 connector on the front panel as a simple pass-through cable according to Silverstone support.

Troubleshooting symptoms:

If the FB37 and the Intel Front Panel 3-1/2" Bay dual USB3.0 module are installed together neither of the A-style ports on the Intel module work but the FB37 card reader drives are still showing in Explorer.  Disconnecting the FB37 will allow the Intel module to work after the USB Surge Errors (known issue) are cleared.

From that, I must assume the FB37 HUB/card reader firmware is incompatable with the Intel USB3.0 driver and prevents the other ports on the internal USB3.0 headers from functioning correctly.

All 4 of the rear panel UPS3.0 ports work with the FB37 installed.

Any other selection?