4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2013 12:06 PM by sylvia_intel

DX79TO raid issues.

mwbreur

Hello,

Recently i have build a system :

Intel DX79TO bios 0460 (will update to 0553) 2/6/13 updated to 0553. (Raid bios 3.5.x...)

Intel i7-3820

32GB DDR3

2 x Patriot Pyro 240GB @ raid1

2 x WDEARX 2TB @ raid1 <- problems...

Radeon 7770

Windows 7 X64, Ultimate fully updated.

The problem keeps coming back, the 2 x WD EARX raid1 setup keeps failing. I already replaced the disk that keeps failing 4 times, replaced the Sata cables and even replaced both disks (Had 10 in stock) but the problem keeps coming back. When i boot up it tells me that the raid is degraded, when i click 'reset to normal' it gives me an error, when i reboot and click 'reset to normal' again it will start rebuilding and sometimes completes but eventually tells me the raid is degraded again, this all can happen on the same day.

Also tried creating the raid in the raid bios and in windows using Intel Rapid storage technology enterprise tool.

Also tried different ports, using different power cables and a different power supply (Antec earthwatts 650 and Tagan 1000 watts, spare psu for Xeon system) etc.

Also shutting down windows doesn't work, i have to press the power button to make it shut down. When the WD2TB raid config is deleted the system shuts down normally.

Already reinstalled windows several times to no avail.

The 2 Patriot Pyro drives show no problems at all, they are both connected to the blue sata ports not once has this raid1 setup failed.

To test the systems stability i've used:

passmark Burnin test 7.?

3dmark11

PCmark7

Superpi

AS SSD and Crystalmark purely for SSD testing.

Since i've seen an issue before with WD disks and problems with raid controllers before i checked if there were any known issues but there aren't.

I use a Supermicro X7DAE system myself, also using Intels raid controller and i've never had any issues with this system whatsoever.

If anyone has any suggestions i'm open for ideas.

• 1. Re: DX79TO raid issues.
          Dan_Intel

Hello Michiel,

According to the information provided you have covered most of the troubleshooting for this particular issue. Test the system out of the chassis with minimum memory installed and try a BIOS recovery test:

Desktop Boards &mdash; BIOS update instructions

If the issue persists, check your warranty options to replace the board since the onboard RAID controller seems to be faulty.

• 2. Re: DX79TO raid issues.
            mwbreur

Hello Dan,

I already tested the board of the chassis before, i did again today with 2 x 8GB memory. (Normally has 32GB).

I re installed windows 7 again now on the 2TB raid1 Setup and no problems using the blue Sata Ports.

Switching back to the black ports gives the same issues, putting the 2 Patriot Pyro SE SSD's on the black ports also shows they fail so i'm positive it has to be the ports.

I also updated the bios, reset the bios, recreated the raid1 config in the Raid Bios and still the issue persists.

I'm going return the board on monday and see what happens.

Thank you for the assistance.

• 3. Re: DX79TO raid issues.
              mwbreur

Well i finally received a replacement for the DX79TO i had issues with, now for whatever reason none of the raid drivers work when trying to start the Windows 7 X64 installation, not from disk/website whatsoever.

It sees the C600 drivers and says 'loading' no message and still no OS/disks found.

Also my previous installation will not boot even though i set all bios settings before i even attempted a boot.

Repair function won't work since it can not load the drivers.

I've never had this much problems with ANY motherboard i've encountered.

• 4. Re: DX79TO raid issues.
                sylvia_intel

Hello Michiel,

We are working on this issue.

In the mean time could you please try using the F6 drivers for the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology enterprise?

Download Center