0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2013 10:19 AM by e71

DZ77RE-75K and Hardware RAID (Long post, several questions, rage etc)

e71

Has anyone had any success getting a current generation, PCI-E 3.0, SATA 6 Gbps, 8+ port hardware RAID card working with any Z77 motherboards?

It works with my old AMCC 3ware 9650SE-12ML but I need to upgrade it for SATA III support.

I know Intel's support staff is going to come here and say the same thing they've said to others, that they recommend against RAID cards on Desktop boards like as if it's some sort of sin or that us desktop users couldn't possibly need RAID... even though they include cheap useless fake RAID with their boards...

Before upgrading from LGA775 based systems to LGA1155, every single desktop board I've had (Intel/AMD) has worked perfectly with every single RAID card I've tested it with and I've had plenty of both. So much so that compatibility has never been something I had to look into -- it would just work like lego pieces.

Now I've spent over $3500 on upgrades, put the system together only to be shocked at this generation's lack of support for RAID cards and the bleakness of the future. People spend money on things like 2-4 high end graphics cards for CF/SLI yet apparently those are supported and RAID cards are the ones looked at as rare frivolous purchases that don't need to be supported.

If they were for only for server motherboards like you keep trying to convince us, why do all those vendors provide drivers for desktop operating systems like Windows 7 then? Surely, they'd only release drivers for Windows Server or Linux distros.

All I know is I've spent way too much money on my new build to let this go and I demand some sort of resolution because I can't just return the hardware I've purchased as they're now considered pre-owned.

Is this a chipset-wide issue or will I have more luck with another Z77 board from another vendor?

If it's something you can fix with a BIOS update, I suggest you guys start working on it because I'm tired of Intel just shrugging this off like it's non-issue.

My system specs are as follows:

Intel Core i7-3770k

Intel DZ77RE-75K

Kingston 32G (4 x 8G) DDR3 Hyper-X

Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 TOXIC 2G

AMCC 3ware 9650SE-12ML (working) / LSI 3ware 9750-8i (incompatible) / Areca ARC-1223-8i (incompatible)

WD Velociraptor 300G SATA II x 3 (RAID 5)

Samsung 840 Pro 256G SATA III x 4 (RAID 5)

Intel PRO/PT 1000 NIC PCI-E 1x

Creative XtremeGamer Pro PCI

Thermaltake 850W