1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 5, 2013 11:57 AM by Mike Myers

Support for Intel SATA HDD driver for Windows 8

Mike Myers

We are updating a Sony VAIO Laptop - Sony vaio VGN Z56GG notebook from Windows 7 to Windows 8

We booted with the windows 8 dvd and started installing.

At a point when the o.s is supposed to find the hdd to complete the installation it could not find the sata hdd ,

(Apparently because  sata hdd is not detected by windows 8 in the above Sony laptop,)

So we manually tried to browse the drivers path but the drivers was not comparable for windows 8

Eventually we got an error message:

Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller (A:\iaAHCI.inf

"No new devices drivers were found.  Make sure the installation media contains

the correct drivers and then click OK.

This is the information I have found so far from the Sony Website:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/landing/windows_upgrade_offer

I have checked if my VAIO is supported, but it is not, although it meets the minimum Windows® 8 requirements.
      How can I successfully upgrade to Windows® 8?
      Back to Frequently Asked Questions

Sony has carefully selected the VAIO models that will ensure the best Windows 8 experience. If your VAIO is not supported by the VAIO Windows 8 upgrade kit, we advise you to visit the following pages to find drivers and applications, which you can separately install. Please note that no online support is offered for non supported VAIO models.

Can anyone here please advise on what we might do next?  I find it hard to believe that something like an HDD driver that works fine with Windows 7 would fail with Windows 8, but apparently that is the case. 

• 1. Re: Support for Intel SATA HDD driver for Windows 8
          Mike Myers

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but the following message showed up in the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant as it checked the computer to see if it was ready for Windows 8:

"Secure Boot isn't compatible with your PC

Your PC's firmware doesn't support Secure Boot so you won't be ale to use it in Windows 8."

Could it be that I need a different driver that is signed?

I don't know much about this - not sure if this was relevant or not, but thought I should post it here just in case.