Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Sleep mode unavailable on 3570K w/ HD 4000 on Win8 VGA

idata
Employee

Why is S3 sleep mode not available? Also, monitor never goes to standby though Power Options are set to turn off display after 10 mins.

Config:

New i5 3570K on ASRock Extreme4 Z77 mobo with Win8 64-bit installed on 64GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, VGA monitor (1280x1024) shows only 'Shut down' and 'Restart' when selecting power icon.

Powercfg report:

> powercfg \availablesleepstates

Standby (S3)

An internal system component has disabled this standby state.

Graphics

Intel Driver Update Utility shows:

Graphics Driver

Product Detected Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Current Driver Installed 9.17.10.2932

Your driver is current.

Hibernate mode was disabled to save space on ssd using 'powercfg -h off'.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

It turns out that this problem was caused by the .2932 (latest) driver version. When I decided to try "Roll Back Driver" at Device Manager -> Intel HD Graphics 4000 -> Properties I was rolled back to the .2768 version of the driver and I found that the sleep mode was then available. I did this because I noticed a yellow warning icon next to the Intel adapter icon in the Device Manager which also disappeared with the roll back. This icon recurred when the latest driver was reinstalled again by Windows Update.

Because I ran Windows Update immediately after installing the Win8 OS on my new system, and since I never saw that sleep mode was available I had no idea of the source of the problem initially and only eventually figured it out after running powercfg:

> powercfg \availablesleepstates

Standby (S3)

An internal system component has disabled this standby state.

Graphics

EDIT: I later found that driver version .2875 works and supports sleep mode and OpenGL version 4.0, whereas OpenGL Extensions Viewer showed that .2768 version only supports OpenGL version 1.1.

Message was edited by: cattledogit

0 Kudos
Marcos_U_Intel
Employee

Hello,

If the previous graphics driver is working out for you, then use that version for now until we come out with a newer graphics driver version, but please keep in mind that our graphics drivers are generic, so it could be your system needs to use the original drivers give only by your system manufacturer.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos