3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2013 2:40 PM by joe_intel

Memory stability issues with D33217GKE + CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9

Jurgen Rapp

I have installed Corsairs CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9 (2x4 GB 1600 Mhz 9-9-9-24) and the "NUC" is not very stable. Prime95, blend test, fails within minutes.

The memory is using automatic settings in BIOS but the values presented in BIOS doesn't match 100% the Jedec/SPD settings reported by CPU-z.

An exampel tRC reported in Jedec: 39 in BIOS it is set to 33.

Also I don't understand how to set the memory to 1333 MHz in BIOS to see if that makes it stable.

Any help is greatly appreciated

• 1. Re: Memory stability issues with D33217GKE + CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9
          lavojm

Hi,

I had the same situation of memory instability with my DC3217BY kit with frequent BSOD especially under stress. In fact, i exchanged the first kit because I thought it was defective, but the replacement unit was also unstable with blue screens.

I tried 5  different pairs of sticks of various size and clock until I found a set that was stable under stress. Unfortunately, it was only a set of 2GB sticks and I wanted at least 8 GB total. I ended up purchasing a 1.35 volt set and then overrode the SPD in the Bios and set the voltage to 1.5 leaving all the other setting at default. Now my system is rock solid even  running stress tests for hours. You could also buy a CAS 7 set and instead increase latency to 9 if you need to in order to achieve a stable system. For So-Dimms, I think 1333 MHz is still the sweet spot as lots of the available 1600 MHz are still CAS 11 and the CAS 9 are marginal. I flashed the Bios to version 36 and it lets you override the SPD setting.

Bottom line is that these NUCs are very picky about memory just like the mac mini.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Memory stability issues with D33217GKE + CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9
            Jurgen Rapp

I have been testing some more.

If I only use one memory stick Prime95 runs without problems or atleast it didn't fail the 30 min test (tested both sticks) in dual channel it fails within 5 min.

Currently I'm running memtest in dual channel mode so far no errors detected.

So perhaps it's the combination of heavy CPU/GPU usage and dual channel that causes the problem.

I will let the memtest run overnight.

• 3. Re: Memory stability issues with D33217GKE + CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9
              lavojm

As a final test, I ran WebGL Aquarium inside a Chrome Browser. It really stresses the system: Graphics, Cores, and Network simultaneously. Draws almost full power from package ~17 watts. I set it to 250 fish @ 1920x1080 and let it run for hours. It also tests the system cooling, I set my box to Cool in Bios 36 which idles at 2700 rpm (45C) and under load 4500 rpm (75C core temp, 80C pkg temp).

• 4. Re: Memory stability issues with D33217GKE + CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9
                Romain Wilbert

Hi !

See my post (BSOD with windows 8)

I purchased 2x SO4GX3M1A1333C9 (Corsair SO-DIMM DDR3 4go 1333Mhz) and I had some BSODs at startup (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUALS at rdyboost.sys).

I ordered 2x F3-12800CL9D-8GBSK (G-SKILL SO-DIMM DDR3 4go 1600Mhz) and now it seems to be ok !!

Bye

• 5. Re: Memory stability issues with D33217GKE + CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9
                  Jurgen Rapp

So I ran memtest 4.20 over the night in dual channel mode, 9 hours no errors detected.

Started Windows with 2x4GB and ran Prime95 64 bit and it detected errors instantly. Tried IntelBurnTest (Intel(R) Linpack) also detected errors after just a couple of minutes.

Removed one of the memory sticks and started Windows with 1x4GB. Now both Prime95 and IBT runs without errors.

But I would really like to be able to use 1600 CL9 memory in dual channel...

@lavojm:

Could you try Prime95 or IBT in dual channel mode and see if they detect errors?

What kind of memory did you end up using?

Do you know if it's possible to change the memory to run at 1333Mhz currently it's @1600Mhz. I'm not overly impressed by the BIOS.

Cheers

• 6. Re: Memory stability issues with D33217GKE + CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9
                    lavojm

Hi,

I just ran the  intel burn test, 20 passes and no errors. It sure is faster than prime 95. I don't think that you can change the BCLK or memory clocks in the current Bios, but you can change the Cas latency and operating voltage. I have a Crucial CT2Kit51264BF1339, 8 GB (2x4GB) kit installed. It is rated at 1.35 volts and i am running at 1.5 volts. Micron specifies the chips at 1.28 -1.45 volts, so i am just over voltage by 0.05 volt. I have been running this way for a week and it is solid even under stress. Hope this helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Memory stability issues with D33217GKE + CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9
                      Jurgen Rapp

Thank you for your answers!

I noticed on funny thing about the BIOS memory settings. When set to auto the memory is set to run @1600Mhz but when I change to manual settings, not changing any settings, for some reason the BIOS sets the memory to 1333Mhz. @1333Mhz CL9 the memory is stable... But it's far from obvious how to achive this.

Please Intel update the memory settings page in the BIOS.

• 8. Re: Memory stability issues with D33217GKE + CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9
                        lavojm

Wow, that is really strange. When I changed to manual it left my memory clock at default. So on the Bios summary page, it is showing the actual clock at 1333 and the default at 1600 Mhz. I guess that is an Intel question especially since there does not appear to be any manual control over the memory clock in the bios. This really makes choice of sodimms  tricky because the boards are so picky. Are you running Bios version 36?

• 9. Re: Memory stability issues with D33217GKE + CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9
                          Jurgen Rapp

Yes it's runing 0036, actually on the summary page it says 1600 in all colums proposed/active/default which makes it even more confusing. Also it lists the default memory multiplier as 1.5000 which looks lika a volt number... (proposed and active is set to 12)

But when I check the memory frequenzy in CPU-Z the memory is running at 666(x2) when set to manual and 800(x2) when set to automatic.

Basically I don't trust the numbers in the BIOS.

• 10. Re: Memory stability issues with D33217GKE + CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9
                            lavojm

Interesting?. I just checked mine with cpu z and i have (666 x 2) whether it is set to manual or automatic in the bios. I am running PC3-10700 memory so that seems like what i would expect.

Maybe intel knows something we don't about running at 1600 Mhz and is throttling it on purpose with the manual bios setting???? I had very little luck maintaining  stability with 1600 sticks even after trying several pairs of different brands. This is especially true with more the 4 GB.

• 11. Re: Memory stability issues with D33217GKE + CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9
                              joe_intel

You may verify with the memory manufacturer if the memory meets the requirements included in the Technical Product Specification linked below (page 19).

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21959/eng/D33217GKE_TechProdSpec02.pdf