13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2009 1:06 PM by Aryan2411

S3200SHV/S3210SHLC RAID

I have a brand new S3210SHLC server board that I should like to use with a RAID 1 two-disk array and Linux (Debian) O/S.

The documentation refers to a BIOS configuration untility for RAID. It says that there should be a "ctrl-e" prompt to configure RAID. But there is no such prompt, and ctrl-e does nothing. On boot, prompts are [esc]-view diagnostics, [f2]-configure bios, [f12]-network boot.

Looking through the [f2]-bios configuration, there is: advanced->configure SATA, and I have set SATA-enabled, Configure SATA-as RAID, and set the intel matrix storage option. These options, together with the documentation provided on the CD might lead one to believe that Intel firmware RAID is included with this board, but I now suspect that in fact it is NOT included. And that I should move on to look at OS-dependant software RAID, rather than the pre-OS RAID mentioned in the documentation.

I have booted from the CD and updated to latest BIOS and so on.

Instalaltion media do not "see" a RAID array, only two separate disks.

If firmware RAID is NOT included with this board, then why would it be shown in the documentation for the board, and in BIOS configuration? For a server board, is this not significantly misleading?

If anyone can further enlighten me as to the true capabilities of the board, I would be much obliged.

regards to all, Tim Johnston.

• 1. Re: S3200SHV/S3210SHLC RAID

Hi there,

First thing that i will do before installing the OS is the update all the latest firmware on board BIOS 46, BMC 31 & SDR 13.
          Read the read me file how to do it. If not sure how to do it, let me know.

I will connect the sata dvd drive to the last sata port on the motherboard.
          If i have 3 hard drives and 1 dvd rom, it should as follows:
          1st HDD on the SATA Port 0
          2nd HDD on the SATA Port 1
          3rd HDD on the SATA Port 2
          DVD Drive on the SATA Port 5

This board has two raid controller onboard.
          Intel Matrix (raid 0/1/5/10) Ctrl + I to access the Oprom
          LSI (raid 0/1/10) Ctrl + E to access the Oprom

Then i will set these options in the bios depending on which controller you want to use:
          Configure SATA as RAID
          SATA Raid Oprom Intel Matrix/LSI

Then i will create my raid using Ctrl + I to enter the Intel Matrix Raid or Ctrl + E if LSI is chosen
          Load the F6 drivers. Since you are using Linux, you need to refer to the read me file of the raid f6 drivers for installation. I am more a windows user, actually, i used all Windows Operating system on this board.

The LSI and Intel Matrix are two different independent onboard raid controllers.

• 2. Re: S3200SHV/S3210SHLC RAID

Great information.  I do have a question...I am not sure how to install and have read a few read me files but am confused since I plan to install Windows Web Server 2008 and the EFI does not support Wins 2008 Server.  The support download section for my board S3210SHLC I think should have a clear path for each OS so a newbe like me can follow with ease the steps to take for updating as you have pointed out.

My current bios is S3200x38.86b.00.00.0042

BMC 0.29

Processor: Intel core 2 CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz...should I have went with a xeon since Hyper-threading is not support?

Also, do you know if I have to purchase a license to use the RAID or will it work once I update the BIOS and Firmware and configure?

• 3. Re: S3200SHV/S3210SHLC RAID

Hi there,

Tell me clearly what do yo want to do?

Let me explain to you how to update the bios,bmc,sdr of the board:
              Firstly, you go on to the download page of the board.
              Download this onto your desktop:
              Website: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=2869&DwnldID=17333&strOSs=38&OSFullName=OSIndependent&lang=eng

Extract the zip files.
              Copy all the extracted contents in the folder to a FAT-FORMATTED USB (root directory of the usb)
              Insert the USB to the target machine.
              Boot the system into the BIOS (F2)
              Go to Boot Manager
              Select the EFI Shell and press Enter
              It will automatically boot onto the EFI shell.
              Once on the EFI shell, the shell will look for the file startup.nsh automatically in the USB.
              If it does not find the startup file, try another USB.
              It will load the firmware package automatically and you just need to follow the instructions.

Now once the firmware has been updated correctly. You will need to decide whether you want to have RAID on your system if YES, which controller do you want to use? (it is already onboard - no activation is required for that)

Now i will comment on the Onboard controller and the drivers.

This board has two onboard RAID controllers:
              Intel® Matrix Storage Technology that supports software SATA RAID 0, 1,5,  10.                              

Intel® Embedded Server RAID Technology and the LSI Logic SATA controller that support software SATA RAID 0, 1 and 10"

So first thing that you need to do is to go onto the BIOS by pressing F2.
              Go to Advanced
              Set Onboard SATA Controller to Enabled
              Set to Configure SATA as RAID
              Set SATA RAID Oprom to Intel Matrix Storage
              Save and Exit

Then Press Ctrl + I to go onto the Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM
              1. All disks need to be NON-RAID - As a precaution, reset all disks to non-raid
              2. Select Create Raid Volume
              3. Enter a name for the Raid Volume
              4. Select Raid 5 for the Raid Level
              5. Select a Strip Size
              6. Select the Volume Capacity
              7. Select Create Volume
              8. Select 'Y' to continue.
              You will see your RAID 5 (parity) has been created and the status will be normal (font color in green).
              9. Select Exit
              10. Select 'Y' to continue.

BOOT OPTIONS:
              Go into the BIOS.
              Go to Boot Options
              Make sure EFI is last, hard drive is first and cd rom is second.
              Save and Exit

Note: To exit EFI shell, just type exit.

OS Installation:
              Once you have created your RAID, you will need to insert the OS cd in the drive.
              Go to Boot Manager.
              Select the CD drive and press ENTER.
              It will boot on the CD automatically.

Note:If using LSI controller, when installing an OS, it will boot onto the bootable OS CD, later it may ask you for a cd driver, this will be the F6 driver for the controller as the SATA CD drive is part of the hardware on the Array Selection Menu.

Please note: It is best for you to use the Intel Matrix Manager controller as the F6 driver for Windows 2008 is already in the OS.

That's it, hope it helps you.

Kind Regards,

• 4. Re: S3200SHV/S3210SHLC RAID

Thanks again for your great information.  I now have my server's BIOS at .46 and running RAID with the Intel Matrix Manager.

I have a Intel Core 2 CPU E7400...should I have went with the XEON?  I am getting 2 beeps at boot.

Have a great day,

• 5. Re: S3200SHV/S3210SHLC RAID

Hi there,

It is good that you updated the bios and installed the OS successfully.  Regarding the CPU selection, as long as the cpu is compatible with the board, it is best for you to check comparison details from the website below:

From the website, you can get an idea whether you need the cpu xeon or core 2 duo.

Kind Regards,

• 6. Re: S3200SHV/S3210SHLC RAID

Hi Aryan,

I have a similar problem and i follow all your directions but the result is still a blue screen of death  with a stop 0X0000007b.

Here's the config:

MB: S3210SHLC

BIOS: 46

BMC: 31

SDR: 13

2X WD5001AALS SATA HDD on SATA Port 0 & 1

LG DVD on SATA Port 5

I downloaded the floppy utility to create the disk for the F6 option of Server 2003 Standard installation

Created the Array, started the installation, when it finished loading the driver, BAM BSOD.

Retry using the LSI RAID to create the Array and the driver for the LSI version floppy, same result.

Bought a brand new SABRENT PCI RAID controller card, restarted the process and no BSOD!!!

However............after the installation, the system reboots and  DRIVE ERROR.

I am desperate.  You have any other ideas?

• 7. Re: S3200SHV/S3210SHLC RAID

Hi stsang,

Actually this happened because the OS did not load the F6 driver correctly.

This error message appeared when the raid driver is not present.

If you want to confirm it, configure the raid again using Intel Matrix Onboard controller, and try to install other OS like windows vista/7/2008 as a test, you will see that it works fine with these OS as the drivers is already embedded in the OS.

Otherwise the best way to slipstream the F6 driver in the OS Windows 2003 is by using Nlite. Microsoft has an issue with several USB floppy drives.

The BSOD that you have, indicates that the driver was not loaded properly.

So i will advise you to do it again, follow the instructions from the website below.

The F6 driver for this board is on the link below:

LSI: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=2869&DwnldID=17646&strOSs=84&OSFullName=WindowsServer*2003&lang=eng

Intel Matrix: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=2869&DwnldID=16098&strOSs=84&OSFullName=WindowsServer*2003&lang=eng 

Useful Links:

All the best,

• 8. Re: S3200SHV/S3210SHLC RAID

Hi Aryan,

This Forum is AWE SOME, and LUCKY. After I reply to this thread, I did some more research on in the Server Room.

I came across this post    http://communities.intel.com/message/9826#9826  

It mentioned something about DVD ROM Firmware, then it clicked, I remember i had some problem with XP pro installation using a specific DVD Drive.

I forgot which drive it was but i remembered that i had to switch to a different DVD to fix the problem.

So this is what i do:

1) took the whold thing apart, and i tossed the SATA DVDRW drive.

2) download all the driver and patches AGAIN

3) put the whole thing together, with an external IDE to USB DVD drive from my trusty old XP Home system I bought 3 years ago

4) redo the RAID Array using LSI ( no idea why, i just like the GUI better HAHA)

5) restart the system and boot from the USB DVD, an F6 with the driver and,   IT WORKS!

Frankly I cannot tell whether it works because 1) I re-downloaded all the drivers and updates; 2) I re-assemble the system; 3) I use LSI instead of Intel Maxtrix RAID; or 4) I use a different DVD drive that is not SATA. But it is working now.

Still think for the big bucks i paid for my engineering degree, the only usful thing I got in return is these three words " TRIAL AND ERROR "

Thanks again for your advise.

• 9. Re: S3200SHV/S3210SHLC RAID

Hi Steve,

Happy to hear that you managed to find something to fix your problem in this community itself. Yeps, this community is definitely a good one. Anyway welcome to the world of hardware, nothing works 100% as in theory

All the best,

• 10. Re: S3200SHV/S3210SHLC RAID

Hi Steve,

Glad to see you find a workaround.

Anyways as an FYI, when having onboard RAID enabled, all Serial ATA ports are going to look for possible RAID devices; therefore attaching a Serial ATA optical drive MUST OF TIMES does not work and it gives you always a BSOD. Now, i said "must of times" because there is a small trick it work sometimes.

First, it does not make so much difference in using the Matrix or the LSI option, of course depends on which one you like the most; but for the workaround it makes no difference. What I have seen is that sometimes if you have no RAID array yet created, if you connect the Serial ATA optical to port # 5 and then create the RAID array it works. You just need to go to the BIOS and set the "RAID optical" as the first bootable device. Nevertheless, remember this is something that only works sometimes.

The bottom line is that when having onboard RAID enabled, we need to connect a different type of optical drive, in my case I always choose USB opticals. Then once in the Operating System I connect back the Serial ATA optical.

Hope this helps you....

• 11. Re: S3200SHV/S3210SHLC RAID

Thanks man, that's definitely a great point. Now I know what the problem is.

I'm definitely using the USB DVD to setup the O/S next time.

Again, great forum, great people, keep it going.

• 12. Re: S3200SHV/S3210SHLC RAID

Somewhat delayed in reply as I've been away from the office. But thanks for your assistance. The intel documentation and the bootup/BIOS prompts are somewhat cryptic. You have explained things well. They should paste your reply into the documentation so that things are clear.

regards, Tim Johnston.

• 13. Re: S3200SHV/S3210SHLC RAID

Hi Tim,

I am glad that some of my knowledge were of some help to you. Check out the simulator i made for snowhill board. Possibly it can be useful to you.

All the best,