1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2013 3:25 PM by lhill

DC3217IYE Won't start. DOA???

dikkiedirk

I recently purchased a DC3217IYE, put in 8 GB of RAM and a 128 GB Crucial M4 msata SSD and a Azurwave WiFi card. I hooked it up to my monitor put the power plug in and pressed the on/off button. All that happens are the occasional 3 flashes of the power button and sometimes it remains on a little longer. Nothing appears on the screen though. I hear no beeps whatoever. I took out the RAM but got the same result. I then took out the SSD, also the same result. Is the unit DOA or are there other things to check?

• 1. Re: DC3217IYE Won't start. DOA???
          lavojm

Front-panel Power LED Blink Codes

Whenever a recoverable error occurs during POST, the BIOS causes the board’s front

panel power LED to blink an error message describing the problem (see Table 25).

Table 25.  Front-panel Power LED Blink Codes Type  Pattern

BIOS update in progress Off when the update begins, then on for

1. 0.5 seconds, then off for 0.5 seconds.  The pattern repeats until the BIOS update is
          2. complete.

Video error

On-off (1.0 second each) two times, then 2.5-second pause (off), entire pattern repeats

(blink and pause) until the system is powered off. When no VGA option ROM is

1. found.

Memory error

On-off (1.0 second each) three times, then 2.5-second pause (off), entire pattern repeats

(blinks and pause) until the system is powered off.

Thermal trip warning

Each beep will be accompanied by the following blink pattern: .25 seconds on, .25 seconds off,

.25 seconds on, .25 seconds off. This will result in a total of 16 blinks.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DC3217IYE Won't start. DOA???
            dikkiedirk

Is there a manual that can be downloaded where this information and more can be found?

Where for instance can I set the graphics memory to 128M?

• 3. Re: DC3217IYE Won't start. DOA???
              lavojm

Yes it's on the Intel support site under downloads, documentation:

Support for the Next Unit of Computing Kit DC3217BY

• 4. Re: DC3217IYE Won't start. DOA???
                lavojm

And yes you can set the graphics memory in the Bios to 128, 256, or 512 M.

• 5. Re: DC3217IYE Won't start. DOA???
                  tfrossman

I have the same issue. New NUC DC3217IYE. It seems DOA. I have installed:Intel 525 Series Lincoin Crest SSDMCEAC120B301 mSATA 120GB, 4GB DDR3 KVR1333D3S9 (2 of these), the monitor is Visio VA19L HDTV10T with direct HDMI connect, generic Dell wired mouse, Logitech Deluze 250 Keyboard (wired). First time power up with everything connected, Blue power LED came on for 2-4 secs. then shut off.

Nothing on the screen. Ever. Not able to F2 since not seeing the keyboard. I have no idea which BIOS is in the box, since I've never seen the screen turn on. I have attempted using other monitors, Dell 1901FP connected via HDMI to DVI-D cable (nothing on screen), Also, LG 1932TQ via HMDI to DVI-D cable. Nothing on screen.

Removing mouse, BlueLED on for same few seconds. Removing keyboard and mouse, BlueLED on constant.

I never hear a fan. The green power LED (inside the box) is on. I have confirmed good power supply.

I have tried to reset the BIOS by pulling the jumper (no peripherals plugged in)

I am stuck. Perhaps i new BIOS is needed but since i never see ANYTHING on ANY screen, i have no idea where the box is in the boot process.

Please help.

• 6. Re: DC3217IYE Won't start. DOA???
                    lavojm

Hi,

You might try a computer monitor instead of a TV at least until you get the os installed with graphics drivers. Then you can get your HD TV setup. Hope you have a monitor that you can try and it helps.

John

• 7. Re: DC3217IYE Won't start. DOA???
                      tfrossman

More information:

New NUC DC3217IYE. i have installed: Intel 525 Series Lincoin Crest SSDMCEAC120B301 mSATA 120GB, 2 - SO DIMM, 4GB KVR1333D3S9, The included wireless card. I have tried to connect various monitors: Vizio VA19L HD10L with direct HDMI, Dell 190TFP HDMI to DVI-D cable, LG 1932TQ HMDI to DVI-D cable. There is a logitech deluxe 250 keyboard (wired). Dell mouse (wired).

I have tested to see if there is activity on the mSATA, the front panel LED, 1-3 connected LED never turns on.

I have tested the 2-4 LED.

Thought perhaps a BIOS issue, so I downloaded GKPPT10H.86A.0036.BIO to a flash drive, pulled power, pulled jumper, plugged in drive, then power, then power button. BlueLED on for 2 seconds, then off. left it alone for 15 minutes. No BlueLED ever came back on. nothing was plugged into the unit except power and flash drive.

Box is still dead. Never a screen display. Never a fan sound.

• 8. Re: DC3217IYE Won't start. DOA???
                        tfrossman

I am trying to locate a monitor with HDMI direct. Agree the TV aspect may be an issue. I did read somewhere that a special driver is needed for HDMI to DVI-D.

• 9. Re: DC3217IYE Won't start. DOA???
                          tfrossman

I am trying to locate a monitor with HDMI direct. Agree the TV aspect may be an issue. I did read somewhere that a special driver is needed for HDMI to DVI-D.

UPDATE:

Attached HDMI monitor, LG IPS Cinema monitor, 23EA63, still not getting a signal from the NUC to the monitor. Still no fan noise. with nothing attached, the NUC power BlueLED comes on, stays on. push and hold power button to turn off does nothing.

Tried another update to BIOS with latest 0.36 from downloads site. No difference. No fan, no monitor signal. Removed ethernet card. No difference, No fan. No monitor. Still very dead.

• 10. Re: DC3217IYE Won't start. DOA???
                            lavojm

Maybe past time to RMA.

• 11. Re: DC3217IYE Won't start. DOA???
                              Ken

i assume you've tried the following, but just in case...

you don't say whether your 8GB of memory is a single stick or 2X4.

when i set up my NUC, i started wtih a single stick, and when i went to boot, i just got the flashing led.

i tried everything, including another memory stick, to no avail.

then i tried moving the single stick to the other memory slot, and it booted fine.

so, if you have a single stick in the wrong slot, or one of your 2 sticks is bad, it won't boot.

ken

• 12. Re: DC3217IYE Won't start. DOA???
                                Nathan Nankivell

I am having the exact same error.  I was so excited when my NUC arrived only to be frustrated.

My set up

NUC DC32171YE

Crucial m4 128gb ssd

Kingston 8gb (1 stick) KVR16S11/8

When I power on I get three flashes on the LED then off for three seconds then repeats so I assume its a memory issue from the response above.

I have tried it in both slots first the bottom, then second the top.  Same response both times.

I have also checked the cords and tv with two laptops and there has been no issues.

Please can some one point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

• 13. Re: DC3217IYE Won't start. DOA???
                                  averagebob

Has anyone experienced getting no response from the NUC?  Brand new unit, memory, SSD drive.  Hooked up to monitor directly via HDMI.  Pressed the power button.  Nothing.  Not even blinking lights.  Power outlet works because my laptop was using it.  I can only assume power brick is faulty.  Anything I should try?

• 14. Re: DC3217IYE Won't start. DOA???
                                    Ron

I won the DC3217iye a couple days ago, ordered some parts, and now I'm trying to make it work. I'm having no luck! I'm a complete tech dummy, so please help.

I've purchased:

1) Intel SSD 525 Series 60GB mSATA

2) Kingston KVR1333D3SO/4GB DDR3

3) Intel Advanced N 6205 Wireless (haven't arrived yet in mail)

So I put in (1) and (2), and turned on the power. All i'm getting is the 3 blinks error. Reading the posts above, I wanted to see if any of these could be isses:

a) Do i need two memory sticks?

b) When removing the memory stick, i worry the snap part is broken (i don't know if this makes a difference, but it's loose now)

Like people above, I connected it to my TV via a HDMI cable, no picture.

Do I need to download something, do something diff to make this work?

1 2 Previous Next