2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2013 12:04 PM by lemurian

Intel ME 8 Management Engine

lemurian

DZ77BH Motherboard

I see IME listed on my boards download page, is this something I absolutely need to install?

~Benefits ?

~Downsides ?

I've read up on it and I see the new MEI is different than what it used to be.

I noticed that Yellow Exclamation mark in Other Devices> PCI Simple Communications Controller.

Every thing works fine though so I may not even need it.

I don't want to install fancy interrogation stuff if I don't need it, but I don't want to limit my PC functionality.

What is the most experienced consensus on this.

• 1. Re: Intel ME 8 Management Engine
          JFFulcrum

Management Engine is a MB part, which support corporate PC management infrastructure, like remote WakeUp or remote mass BIOS updating/CMOS settings propagation. In some notebooks this component also support user-level anti-theft lockdown protection, but for home desktop user this driver is just an exclamation mark remover (and a potential security hole, if someone took hands on this bunch of drivers and services with kernel-mode privileges)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Intel ME 8 Management Engine
            lemurian

Well thanks for the info JFFulcrum

I've read up on it quite a bit and can see as far as I can tell, it's really not needed for the home user, and may be more trouble than it's worth.

Perhaps to just get rid of the yellow exclamation mark, I've extracted the installer and have 'isolated' this one folder out of it:

.............\Drivers\MEI

..and in this folder are only 4 files which are:

heci.cat

HECI.inf

HECI.sys

HECIx64.sys

...and so if I point the DM drivers update to just this folder I have a good feeling it will remove the yellow ! ...but won't install the rest.  I guess I can try it on a test bed setup to see what happens.