2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2013 8:27 AM by David Cox

DZ75ML-45 problems

David Cox

This is a new motherboard for a new build with new CPU and new memory.

CPU - i3-3220T - new

Mem - Corsair DDR3-1600 CMZ4GX3M2A1600C9B - 2 boards - new

PS-Seasonic 380

KBD and mouse - USB (same problems exist using PS2 KBD/Mouse)

CD - Liteon usb external.

Boot drive - OCZ SATA3 SSD plugged into port SATA #2

Additional HD - Seagate SATA3 plugged into port SATA #3

Video is on-board.

Both hard drives, PS, CD Drive, KBD, Mouse are all known good from currently otherwise running machines.

Brand spanking new system.  Never been run before.  This is a first run problem.

Problem Symptoms:

1. Turn on system, comes to start screen.

- CANNOT ENTER BIOS USING <F2>

- did successfully update BIOS using thumb drive method.  No change in symptoms.

- Can enter "select boot drive" screen using  <F10>

- system sees both HDs and the external CD drive.

- can change boot drive

2. Try to boot to SSD (has Windows XP32 on it)

- after a portion of startup, system goes back to start screen (see 1. above)

3. Try to install new OS.

- shortly after starting the OS installer, it comes back and claims it cannot see any storage media.

- symptom is the same for Windows and Ubuntu.

4. re Memory, have tried using only one card at a time and in different slots, problem persists.

I have no way to swap out Motherboard, CPU or Memory with another machine.

I am reasonably computer literate and have built many systems.  Would really rather repair than RMA.

Any and all good ideas welcome.

Dave

• 1. Re: DZ75ML-45 problems
          David Cox

Problems are resolved

First, the SATA problem was "operator error".  I should have realized that the install discs would not have the appropriate drivers.  When installing Ubuntu WITH the internet connecter, it went off and found the drivers.  (Thanks so son-in-law.)

Second, the <F2> not getting to bios.  Reading through other F2 problems on this support site, but for different boards, some folks found that using an analog monitor with adapter to dvi port caused the problem.  So, I disconnected the monitor, booted the board hitting F2 once a second until I guessed that if it was going to work, it would by now be in Bios.  I reconnected the monitor (hot plugin) and viola, the system was in bios screen.

That, unfortunately for Intel, is a functional bug I cannot live with.

• 2. Re: DZ75ML-45 problems
            David Cox

I should have mentioned in my prior reply that the Technical Product Specification, 1.5.2.5, "The DVI-I port supports both digital and analog DVI displays...DVI analog output can also be converted to VGA using a DVIVGA converter.".  Hence, my assertion that this is a Functional Bug.