5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2011 5:43 AM by yf38

DG45ID and Q9400 temperature problems

MikhailO

Hello all,

I have built a system on DG45ID and Q9400.

Problem #1:

While Everest shows me core temperatures about 40 Celsium, Proshot shows -62 C.

Does it mean that throttling will begin at 102 Celsium?

Is 80C temperature normal for this processor?

Problem #2:

I cannot force PWM CPU cooler rotate faster. The rotation speed remains minimal until coretemp reaches 75C, and only after that fan speed increases slightly.

Some third party coolers even do no start until temperature reaches 75C

It seems that this is because the system assumes maxTemp = 102C.

I don't beleive it is good practice to allow core temp reach so high temperatures.

Updating BIOS to the latest, playing with Fan Control setting in BIOS gives nothing.

As a result, to have temperatures below 71C (as described in Q9400 datasheet) I disconnnected my cpu cooler from pwm socket and attached to mobo rear fan 3-pin socket.

Any solution?

• 1. Re: DG45ID and Q9400 temperature problems
          spearson

No, this does not mean that throttling will begin at 102c; it means that throttling will begin when the temperature has risen 62c degrees from where it currently is. In these Desktop processors, the temperatures exposed by the processor (externally on the PECI bus or via the Core-specific Model-Specific Registers (MRSs)) is relative to the TCC Assertion point (a.k.a. Tjmax). Where is this TCC Assertion point? In these desktop processors, you just don't know; it varies from one individual processor to another. In order to produce an absolute temperature, Everest and other applications make a guess at where Tjmax actually is. This guess is typically based upon the published Tjmax values for Mobile processors, but Desktop processors are not bin sorted with Tjmax as a criteria. As a result, these so-called temperatures that they are exposing are nothing but approximations; only the relative temperature reading is being accurately expressed...

For fan speed control purposes, the processors expose a temperature target that needs to be maintained. This target temperature is also relative to the TCC Assertion point, so can be directly compared to the exposed relative temperature readings. In most cases, this target is somewhere around -18, but it may be higher or lower (it's all dependent upon the particular piece of silicon in your processor). The important thing is that, as long as the temperature is kept at or below this target, your processor is going to be just fine. When your reading is -64, your processor is nice and cool...

• 2. Re: DG45ID and Q9400 temperature problems
            yanqiang

Hi,

Please download & install Intel Desktop Utility, which can monitor temp real time, and the temp detected by this utility is accepted by Intel.

Again, like Mikhail mentioned, your system actually works properly...

• 3. Re: DG45ID and Q9400 temperature problems

Hello,

I have this mobo, and with the latest BIOS (135) the CPU fan is constantly changing speed and it's really annoying, is there a way to control this fan with bios settings ? I would prefer it to always run ata constant speed, even if higher than minimal...

And BTW are the tech specs of the hardware sensors used on this mobo available somewhere in docs ? This would help greatly lm-sensors's team to support this hardware properly under linux.

Thanks

• 4. Re: DG45ID and Q9400 temperature problems
                yf38

Hi,

I have two of these DG45iD and the pumping fan is a known issue, there is a lot of discussions about this in this forum.

To summarize, a workaround for this problemis to set, in the bios, the parameter "C states" to disabled, (keeping C1E to enabled).

My experience stops at 131 bios, not yet 135.

About core T° the regulation on board works in such way that cpu fan RPMs begin to significantly rise only when the T° is above about 75°C, then it continues to rise toward 85°C while the fan is speeding up to return the T° toward a regulated value of about 80°C.

This should be considered as normal, the goal being to minimize noise, and it is effective.

• 5. Re: DG45ID and Q9400 temperature problems
                  parsec

There are several options in the DG45ID's BIOS that can vary the PWM fan speed, in the Fan Control Configuration Menu.  Check what they are set to, and I would recommend trying these settings:

Fan Control: Enabled.

Processor Zone Damping: Normal

Processor Zone Response: Normal, or try Aggressive to speed up the fan.  Set to normal if it's to loud for you.