2 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2009 2:11 PM by Hugi

Unable to power up PC

Barsoomian

Hi everyone,

I was transferring my PC into a new case and plugged the HD Audio from the case into the HD Audio Link connector on the mainboard,  very silly thing to do.  i Powered up the PC and when i plugged my headphone and speaker into the front panel the PC shut down and wouldn’t power up after that.

I figured that I had blown the motherboard and went and got a Intel DQ45CB,  I installed this into the Case plugged in all the peripherals but now cannot get the PC to power up.

The Standby Power Indicator LED flashes green.  I read a few forums which suggested that a flashing green LED indicates a problem with the power supply.

I have removed all components and I still cannot get the PC to power.  I am guessing that its the PSU but before I go out and spend more money I’d like to get some ideas of what else it could be and could I have damaged the wiring to the power switch and HD Audio/AC97 controls.

Any help would be great thanks

• 1. Re: Unable to power up PC
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

Check if your processor is on the compatibility list and make sure to check which bios version does the board requires for the cpu to work properly:
          Website: http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?Boardname=DQ45CB

Then make sure that the memory you are using has the features as mentionned on this page:
          Website: http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dq45cb/sb/CS-029529.htm
          Note: Changing the memory voltage and speed may affect the board and void your warranty.

Test the system out of the chassis. (recommended PSU ATX v.2.2)

If both of these components meet the requirements, then continue to the next steps.

1. Remove the memory
             Does the board issue any beeps? If yes, how many?

2. Put back the memory. If there is still no boot, switch the bios jumper to the Maintenance Mode.
          Result:

3. Then try a bios recovery using a formatted USB media.

Instructions for Recovery BIOS Updates
          In the unlikely event that a BIOS update is interrupted, it is possible the BIOS may be left in an unusable state. The recovery process requires the chassis to be opened to move the onboard BIOS Configuration Jumper.
          WARNING: This process is intended to be performed by a trained technician.
          Recovery with Formatted USB Stick

1. Copy the recovery file (*.bio) to a formatted usb disk.
          2. Place the usb disk in the target system.
          3. Shut down the system and unplug AC power.
          4. Open the chassis and remove the BIOS Configuration Jumper. See the Technical Product Specification for details including the location of this jumper.
          5. Power the system on.
          6. Wait 2-5 minutes for the update to complete. When the usb drive LED is lit, the system is copying the recovery code into the FLASH device.
          7. System will either turn off when the recovery process is completed or it will prompt you to turn off the system.
          8. Remove usb disk
          9. Replace the BIOS Configuration Jumper.
          10. Restart system.

Note: these can be found on:
          Website: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17197/eng/BIOS%20Update%20Readme.pdf
          Page 3

Regards,
          Aryan

• 2. Re: Unable to power up PC
            Hugi

Hello

I have the same problem.

I conected mic and speaker (a headphone) and system was going black. Now only the green Power LED is on when i'm turning on the power supply. No reaction on turning on or reset.

How (and why) shoud i do a bios restore. Something else must be broken. Any idea?