1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2009 10:03 PM by tcdouglas

DG45ID resume from suspend to ram causes reboot

Baybal

DG45ID resume from suspend to ram causes reboot.

But regular s1 suspend works fine. The problem appears both in 32 bit and 64 bit mode. With SMP disabled and enabled in bios. With intelme off and on. The same with results with integrated devices and qst turned off by bios. Some times the system doesn't reboot, but just freezes instead without any signs of resume of OS functionality.

Version IDG4510H.86A.0093.2009.0402.2013.

Second problem, EFI bootstrap doesn't works and firmware doesn't export the efi interface to userspace even with EFI boot turned on by bios.

• 1. Re: DG45ID resume from suspend to ram causes reboot
          rbailin

Yes, I can also confirm this behavior of rebooting after resuming from S5 state.

There seems to be two different methods of rebooting:

1. Windows Vista 32 goes into shutdown mode within 1 minute of resuming from S5 sleep.
          2. Windows Vista 32 simply reboots within 30 seconds of resuming from S5 sleep, during
            which time the CPU fan is running at maximum speed.

I'm taking a wild guess that during sleep, the system loses track of the CPU temp, possibly

other temps, too, and forces a shutdown or reboot to preserve the CPU integrity. This reboot

behavior has happened more frequently with the last two BIOS updates, 0091 & 0093.

EFI boot seems to work last time I tried it with a Vista 64 SP1 DVD. Please note that, at least

with this DVD, there are 2 prompts to boot from the DVD. The first is the EFI boot, the

second is the BIOS boot. Also note that you can't actually install the EFI version of

Vista 64 onto a disk that has an MBR partition table (e.g., Vista 32 or earlier). You can

go to the command line after booting the DVD and run diskpart to reconfigure the disk

as a GPT disk.

• 2. Re: DG45ID resume from suspend to ram causes reboot
            Baybal

I have reboots during 99% of resumes.

• 3. Re: DG45ID resume from suspend to ram causes reboot
              Baybal

Finally, EFI boot problems seems to be solved for me by changing efi boot partition fs from fat32 to fat16

But the resume problems still unsolved

• 4. Re: DG45ID resume from suspend to ram causes reboot
                Baybal

Could I expect these problem to be solved anytime soon? My moneyback period expires next week.

• 5. Re: DG45ID resume from suspend to ram causes reboot
                  rbailin

The reboot problem seems to have disappeared after updating the BIOS to version 0097, although it had pretty much disappeared with 0095.

I notice in all your posts that you haven't mentioned which O/S you're using. I assumed it was Vista 64, but your mention of changing the f/s type

on the EFI boot partition makes me think it's something else.

The motherboard is warrantied by Intel for 3 years. If you're referring to a 30-day return policy by your supplier, I would definitely return it for a

refund and try another board. Was there a particular reason you bought the DG45ID and are installing an EFI-boot O/S?

• 6. Re: DG45ID resume from suspend to ram causes reboot
                    Baybal

I'm using linux 2.6.29 in 64 mode. The reason for buying this board was to use it as a high performance htpc and the same time to use it as a debugging board for writing EFI applications.

Today I updated the firmware to 0097 with no results at all. But after disassembling the BIOS dsdt I found something suspicious:

Name (OSVR, Ones)
                        Method (OSFL, 0, NotSerialized)
                        {
                            If (LNotEqual (OSVR, Ones))
                            {
                                Return (OSVR)
                            }

If (LEqual (PICM, Zero))
                            {
                                Store (0xAC, DBG8)
                                SPST (0xAC)
                            }

Store (One, OSVR)
                            If (CondRefOf (_OSI, Local0))
                            {
                                If (_OSI ("Linux"))
                                {
                                    Store (0x03, OSVR)
                                }
                                Else

And this switch seems to alternate most of DSDT's functions.

• 7. Re: DG45ID resume from suspend to ram causes reboot
                      Baybal

Bug stills unfixed on 101 bios. I could also mention that it appears without any OS activity.

• 8. Re: DG45ID resume from suspend to ram causes reboot
                        rbailin

May I make a suggestion that shouldn't cost you much time?

Using the BIOS Recovery method only, downgrade your BIOS to the earliest working version that still supports your CPU, but no older than version 0077. To do this, you need to burn the ID0077.BIO file to a blank CD or CD-RW, remove the yellow jumper on the board, and boot up the system. You won't get any video until the system reads the file from the CD and begins the installation process, which may take up to 5 minutes to complete.

When done, replace the jumper, go into BIOS setup, load and save the default settings.

Repeat the process using ID0101.BIO on a blank CD or erased CD-RW. (Have this ready ahead of time in case your O/S doesn't work well with the downgrade.)

I'm suggesting this because somewhere during the process of applying the last 10 BIOS updates, something got screwed up slightly along the way, preventing me from updating using either the Express Update method from Windows, or the iflash method booting from CD. It probably didn't help that Intel changed installers from iflash to iflash2 at some point, and that one or two updates took much longer than expected, tempting me to hit that reset button when I should have been more patient.

But now, I can update using the express method or CD, and my system no longer reboots when resuming from suspend.

Worst case (assuming you don't brick your motherboard): you've wasted 20 minutes of your life.

• 9. Re: DG45ID resume from suspend to ram causes reboot
                          Baybal

Ok, I will try, me not responsing in 1 week means I got a brick

• 10. Re: DG45ID resume from suspend to ram causes reboot
                            Baybal

It seems that I can't downgrage the bios firmware neither by F7 neither by recovery mode.

• 11. Re: DG45ID resume from suspend to ram causes reboot
                              rbailin

You can't downgrade the BIOS below 0093 using the F7 method because it didn't exist before that version.

The BIOS recovery method has to work, but it only works from CD (not a USB stick), preferably a blank one with the IDxxxx.BIO file as the only file in the root directory. Try downgrading to something more recent, like 0097 just to see how the process works.

• 12. Re: DG45ID resume from suspend to ram causes reboot
                                August717

I have tried the recovery mode with a CD, but only 0089 and 0091 would work for me.  I'm not sure why I couldn't get 0097 or 0101 to work with a recovery CD, but they wouldn't.  Also, a CD-RW didn't work at all for me.

I have also been able to downgrade the BIOS with a USB stick.  It must be formatted (non-bootable).  The .BIO file should be the only file on the USB stick.  I was able to successfully downgrade to 0079 (yippee).  One more note, I had to remove all but one stick of RAM to get the BIOS to flash without any problems.

• 13. Re: DG45ID resume from suspend to ram causes reboot
                                  rbailin

Thanks for pointing that out. My standard USB stick is bootable and since F7 doesn't work on earlier BIOSes, I assumed that recovery from USB wasn't working for the same reason. I knew there was a reason to hang on to those 256MB USB sticks!

1 2 Previous Next