8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2013 3:49 AM by Axel

DH77KC: Bricked after BIOS Update

Hello,

I have a DH77KC Board, BIOS Version 069, with a i5-3770 CPU. From a Windows 8 64 Bit I did a windowsbased Bios Update to version 106. After requested reboot, the system did not start anymore.

When I power on the system the cpu fan turns a little , then stops, then starts again and so on. The MB-LED is on.

The Board will not even recognize the RAM anymore. When I remove the RAM Modules, there are no three beeps or such. The system behaves the same with or without RAM.

I am a professional IT Supporter actually, and of course I tried everything I find on intel.com and what people recommend in these communities.

- Taking the battery out for hours with no power attached to the bard

- trying the recovery mode with a bio file on a usb stick with the jumper removed

No success, but no wonder, when the system system cant even access the RAM, I think.

I wonder if the board can be completely wrecked.

I noticed of course all the others in this communities with similar problems.

Actually I purchased an Intel board to avoid problems like this.

Any recommendations?

thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: DH77KC: Bricked after BIOS Update
          Chip

As your's is a 7 series board, it may have something to do with what I also experienced.  I also had a Windows based express BIOS update fail.  The recovery showed proper completion but the system refused to boot.  See if the steps I used work for you:

Re: DZ77GAL-70K freezes after a successful BIOS recovery

Pay attention to the POST codes (if your board has the display) & read the technical manual/guide to see if it prompts for any other trouble shooting steps.

• 2. Re: DH77KC: Bricked after BIOS Update

well, the DH77KC board does not have a display for POST codes or a Back to BIOS Button, so I guess I can't go this way.

chip, your answer is much appreciated anyway, thanks.

All those people with BIOS Update trouble ... I wonder if the reason for Intel to quit manufacturing mainboards (as I read in the news) is that they can' find a solution for this :-/

• 3. Re: DH77KC: Bricked after BIOS Update
              Chip

I didn't think of that.  However, all is not lost.  The B2B button is just a lazy man's way of entering the configuration mode.  If you have used the BIOS recovery jumper, it usually has the option to put the MoBo in the configuration mode.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20952/eng/dh77kc_TechProdSpec02.pdf

Page 58, 59.  So boot the system with the jumper in position 2-3 and you will have the same mode available to you.  If you are able to change the boot sequence, save & exit; then power off, change the jumper to Normal, and reboot.  Hope it works for you.

• 4. Re: DH77KC: Bricked after BIOS Update

In fact I have tried the configuration mode already. good to know that it has the same function as the B2B button.

trouble is, no video comes on. But, as I understand it, I should try pressing F9 during system start.

I will not be able to try this for one or two days, but then will be back here.

• 5. Re: DH77KC: Bricked after BIOS Update
                  Dan

Same damn problem here! I am also a systems engineer (IT guy) and know what the heck I'm doing.. the system powers on for maybe 1 second and then powers off, and repeats endlessly... I have also tried all the suggestions out there and none seem to work.  I am going to purchase new memory (1600mhz) -- and see if this helps at all.. but I am doubtful.

Thanks!

• 6. Re: DH77KC: Bricked after BIOS Update
                    Mitchell Taylor

I'm experiencing a similar problem also, except on the DH77KC's little brother the DH77DF. After attempting to update the BIOS to 106 the system is left in a state unable to boot. There are no diagnostic beeps that come from the onboard speaker and nothing on the display. Removing the RAM doesn't help either. I have tried the recovery BIOS method as per the instructions on the intel site using the USB method and it does not matter which USB ports (I tried them all) I use I get no response from the board at all. I've requested an RMA.

• 7. Re: DH77KC: Bricked after BIOS Update
                      Axel

well, not much luck with Intel, these days. First my board is wrecked, now my community-account is locked due to two unsuccessful logins / was not sure of the password. I was advised to contact "my administrator" ...hmmm, I rather switched my name to avoigt751

Anyway, no success with the board, it stays a brick.

Configuration mode did not work. At no time video would come on, the system just does not react.

These two threads seemed promising for recovery mode

Re: DH77KC BIOS update killed my machine

Re: DH77df fails to post after BIOS update

but those solutions did not work in my case.

I got the board out of the chassis, only power, video and keyboard attached to it plus the USB Stick, taking the battery out for hours, following all of the instructions ... no success. The cpu fan keeps starting and stopping, nothing else happens.

Will try to get a new board from the reseller as warranty. and never use Express BIOS Update again. I wonder why Intel recommends this method.

• 8. Re: DH77KC: Bricked after BIOS Update
                        Dan

Axel wrote:

well, not much luck with Intel, these days. First my board is wrecked, now my community-account is locked due to two unsuccessful logins / was not sure of the password. I was advised to contact "my administrator" ...hmmm, I rather switched my name to avoigt751

Anyway, no success with the board, it stays a brick.

Configuration mode did not work. At no time video would come on, the system just does not react.

These two threads seemed promising for recovery mode

Re: DH77KC BIOS update killed my machine

Re: DH77df fails to post after BIOS update

but those solutions did not work in my case.

I got the board out of the chassis, only power, video and keyboard attached to it plus the USB Stick, taking the battery out for hours, following all of the instructions ... no success. The cpu fan keeps starting and stopping, nothing else happens.

Will try to get a new board from the reseller as warranty. and never use Express BIOS Update again. I wonder why Intel recommends this method.

Same experience here.. I tried all the steps in both of the links you provided above -- and have had no success.   I called warranty support with intel and they were very helpful -- for 25.00$ (and a hold of 94$ on my card) they shipped me a replacement unit (leaves overnight), with a return label included to ship back my defective unit.. It was almost as if they had heard of others experiencing this issue also.

They also said that in the future I should not try to jump more than one or two BIOS releases at a time, and use the F7 option instead of the windows Express BIOS flash, and that RAM needs to be 1.5V at either 1333, or 1600  (even though the specs say it supports 1066)?? 

Thanks for the help!!

Ill update the forum after I get the new board installed and functioning. 

• 9. Re: DH77KC: Bricked after BIOS Update
                          Axel

UPDATE: Got a new board from my reseller, updated it via F7 , in steps of only one update version: no problems, got the board running version 107 now.

Why can't Intel make it clear, that this is the preferable way.