4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2013 12:11 PM by ensign_redshirt

Linux (Debian wheezy) installation?

loonix

Has anyone installed Linux (in my case Debian wheezy) successfully on the NUC hardware?

Thanks

loonix

• 1. Re: Linux (Debian wheezy) installation?
          Jwahar Bammi

Yes, quite successfully running Ubuntu 12.04 (latest)

Hardware:

Intel DC3217BY (red box)

Intel N6235 Wireless + Bluetooth

2x 8G G.Skill CAS 10 Memory

MyDigital 256GB mSATA

Display: Samsung <insert model number here> via display port connected to the Thunderbold port

Random peripherals connected to the USB ports

All the hardware works. Also have connected to a TV via hdmi and that worked fine. ubuntu picked up all the hardware by itself, so that was a pleasant surprise. I specifically chose ubuntu because of its emphasis on drivers etc as opposed to more raw distros like debian.

The only thing that was flaky was the board recognizing two sticks of memory (this was before i installed the OS).

I also Hackintoshed this thing for a bit, have not completed that project (using a 128GB MyDigital mSATA)

Glad to supply more info....

cheers

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Linux (Debian wheezy) installation?
            dealcorn

I run Debian Wheezy with a barebones xfce deasktop on my NUC using the USB boot option.  I am happy but will upgrade the kernel to benefit from recent improvements in the graphics driver and ACPI support.  As I am not yet able to enter my BIOS, I found the F10 key helpful to force my NUC to boot what  wanted.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Linux (Debian wheezy) installation?
              loonix

I was able to get it now going myself - Thanks guys

• 4. Re: Linux (Debian wheezy) installation?
                ensign_redshirt

I've been running into an issue getting Debian 7.x installed on a couple of different NUC models (i3/i5 variants). Not sure if it's my SSD or the NUC itself, but I get an error about GRUB not being able to write to /dev/sda.

I have worked around the issue for now by continuing through that error screen, and when given the big list of install steps/options, selecting 'Install LILO...'. I'm sure this isn't ideal for most, but since I'm only testing it does the trick for now.