3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2013 4:50 AM by aris1978

Intel Exits Desktop Board Business

stephenb.b.r

Intel decided to quit the PC motherboard business by shutting down its Desktop Board brand. To company will begin shrinking its motherboard product line with the arrival of socket LGA1150 Core "Haswell" processors, and eventually leave the market within 3 years. One can draw three distinct inferences from this move. First, Intel's Desktop Board lineup is too bloated, and the desktop form-factor is on a rapid decline in relation to the rest of the PC industry. Second, with the emergence of new high-volume brands in the motherboard industry, Intel is finding its lineup out of place.

Third, and more interestingly, this could be a move by Intel to pacify other motherboard vendors about the impending transition of a bulk of the motherboard volume from changeable CPU socket to hardwired BGA, which is bound to happen in a couple of years from now. Other vendors expressed apprehensions over the transition to BGA believing such a more could make Desktop Board put them out of business. Intel's Desktop Board team will instead spend resources in developing new form-factors such as the NUC.

techPowerUp! - The latest in hardware and gaming

Original Source: www.pcworld.com

Intel exits the desktop motherboard business to focus on new form factors | PCWorld

WTF

Any way with recent BIOS screw ups and poor support its about time, only 8 series and that's it, oh well time to move along to another brand, I have personally used Intel motherboards for the last 10 years and i loved them, Maybe they should keep the Extreme Series with them producing maybe two boards 1 for the X based chipset eg only 1 X79 motherboard and 1 based on the Z chipset eg only 1 Z77 Motherboard and they should be the only boards and have all the features the chipset can support. So only two Extreme Series Board should be produced per generation nothing more nothing less, i wish they read this.

• 1. Re: Intel Exits Desktop Board Business
          Dogwood

I've historically purchased Intel boards on the theory that these were the reference standard, and might not have the whiz-bang features of the competition, but they'd be reliable and stable. The Intel hardware has indeed performed well for me; however the BIOS has been troubled, with interim updates seeming to break as many things as they fix. I'd been thinking maybe Intel didn't really have its heart in the motherboard line; if they're exiting the business, then I guess that's indeed the case.

• 2. Re: Intel Exits Desktop Board Business
            dislikeyou

Intel Will Exit Desktop Motherboard Market After Haswell is Released - Legit Reviews

Intel said that they will produce motherboards for the upcoming 4th gen Core processors (Haswell) that is expected to happen this June, but that will be the final platform with boards that were made entirely by Intel. This only impacts the end user, channel, and desktop board business teams. Intel will continue to make server and workstation boards for enterprise and business customers.

• 3. Re: Intel Exits Desktop Board Business
              aris1978

stephenb.b.r: Maybe they should keep the Extreme Series with them producing maybe two boards 1 for the X based chipset eg only 1 X79 motherboard and 1 based on the Z chipset eg only 1 Z77 Motherboard and they should be the only boards and have all the features the chipset can support. So only two Extreme Series Board should be produced per generation nothing more nothing less, i wish they read this.

This! I agree with this statement! It's a long way till 2016, and maybe they surprice us with 1-2 good motherboards. After all the motherboard market can still not be ignored. There are many Intel Fans out there and they know it at Intel. I am a DZ68DB owner and I like this board more than any other I have used in the past. Intel may decrease the number of branded motherboards significally but not entirely shut down the bussiness. After all who knows what happens if the Intel branded Haswell Boards turn out to be a success. There is always time and space for new good motherboards.