1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2013 4:25 PM by rirussint

DX79SR - Rear USB 3.0 Ports Not Working - What is the fix?

Brant Ecklund

In Device Manager, the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller that pertains to the rear USB 3.0 ports has a yellow warning sign with an exclamation character in the middle and the status of the device is "This device cannot start (Code 10)". I have tried to disable and re-enable the device, uninstall and reinstall the driver to no avail. I have the latest BIOS and Renesas driver versions which I downloaded and installed from the Intel download site. The BIOS version is SIX7910J.86A.0553.EB and the Renesas version is 3.0.12.0. Does anyone else experience this same issue? Does anyone have a fix for it?

• 1. Re: DX79SR - Rear USB 3.0 Ports Not Working - What is the fix?
          Scott K

I am having the same problem here with my motherboard. My USB 3.0 front ports are working fine, but the rear ones are not working. They are outputting voltage, but I can't seem to connect.  My  Device Manager is not showing a yellow warning sign.

• 2. Re: DX79SR - Rear USB 3.0 Ports Not Working - What is the fix?
            Scott K

It's working now. I downloaded both drivers for front and rear usb ports, installed, but failed to shut down my computer. Once i did that, they were recognized and now working. Hope that helps. Go into your bios as well and check they are there, mine had stars instead of being numbered like the rest.

• 3. Re: DX79SR - Rear USB 3.0 Ports Not Working - What is the fix?
              Sean

THIS IS NOT THE FIX. I'm having this problem big time, try leaving a device plugged in to one of the ports and rebooting, same problem. I am over this stupid problem. DX79SR has give me nothing but grief, thanks intel, i trusted you lot.

My PC is to fragile to reboot because it only wants to run in XMP SOMETIMES and rebooting it for stupid USB controller is stuffed DX. I'm tired of these problems, when is it going to be FIXED.

• 4. Re: DX79SR - Rear USB 3.0 Ports Not Working - What is the fix?
                Brant Ecklund

Hi Scott, Thanks for letting me know about the back panel USB 3.0 issue that you were experiencing. I am glad that you were able to get them to connect again. Are the back ports still working for you? I finally got mine working again. However, I got them working before posting the issue but was uncertain as to how I got them working again. I believe that I discovered how I did it: boot into the BIOS, view any USB info in there (may be optional, not sure), exit the BIOS while discarding any changes, and let W7 startup. After doing this, I noticed that a second Renesas USB 3.0 Root Hub (the one that pertains to the back panel USB 3.0 ports) now appears in the Device Manager. Before doing that procedure, only one Renesas USB 3.0 Root Hub appeared (the one that pertains to the front panel USB 3.0 ports). Both front and back host controllers always existed (except after I uninstalled the back panel drivers), but lately, the back panel one had the yellow caution sign on it. I can also reboot the system and all is still ok. My guess is that after reconnecting my USB 3.0 external hard drive to the back panel ports, and keeping that setup for a good while, eventually the same thing will occur and I will need to perform the same procedure to fix the issue. But I will monitor the situation and let you know. Brant.

• 5. Re: DX79SR - Rear USB 3.0 Ports Not Working - What is the fix?
                  Brant Ecklund

Hi Sean, thank you for relaying your experience with the back panel USB 3.0 ports on the DX79SR. I feel your frustration. The back panel ports on my board have been doing that same thing with an external hard drive connected to them. I think I have finally discovered a work around by booting up into the BIOS, exiting the BIOS while discarding any changes, and letting W7 startup. Why simply entering and exiting the BIOS, without changing anything, temporarily fixes the issue is beyond me. However, I am not confident that the problem will be kept at bay. After keeping the external hard drive connected for awhile, I will probably see the same issue come back. If the issue does come back, I will test my work around again. I will monitor the situation and post my experience to this same thread. It would be gratifying though to have a permanent fix to this issue in place. Brant

• 6. Re: DX79SR - Rear USB 3.0 Ports Not Working - What is the fix?
                    Scott K

Hi Brant,

Yes I agree with you, and I apologize to everyone for not clearly stating what method I followed. I too did the same thing you had mentioned, that is, restarting and entering the BIOS. I can understand how this is not the fix as previously stated. Once restarting Windows after I scoped around in BIOS, everything works. SO, lets hope it is merely a possible update issue and nothing more serious. For the mean time, I have a MIDI keyboard and thumb drive connected still (thumb drive has been removed and reinserted multiple times since) and I too have no issues at the moment.

• 7. Re: DX79SR - Rear USB 3.0 Ports Not Working - What is the fix?
                      Gareth Smith

I am having the exact same problem with same motherboard for the 4 x USB 3.0 ports. The 2 front ports work but the rear ones don't work and have the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller code 'error 10'. However if you reboot and go into the BIOS settings, play around with the USB ports and then exit without saving when windows reloads the rear ports work as normal in windows.

However if I reboot the same problem reoccurs.

I also note the BIOS code 58 appears sometimes when reloading the computer with something plugged in the rear USB 3.0 ports. The system may have a slight delay on the boot screen.

I have the latest BIOS (as in original post) and installed all the latest drivers from the Intel website. The only difference is I have Windows 8 Pro.

• 8. Re: DX79SR - Rear USB 3.0 Ports Not Working - What is the fix?
                        Brant Ecklund

Hi Gareth,

Thank you for your update. Yes, after applying the temporary fix, the issue reoccurs for me still as well. I leave my 3TB Seagate USB 3.0 external hard drive plugged into the rear USB 3.0 ports 24/7. My Norton Security Suite performs auto backups. My power management in W7 64-bit Pro is set to perfromance mode and not to sleep (except I allow my display to sleep). After the latest occurance (today was the first time since my last post) I was able to fix the issue by unplugging the external hard drive, going into the BIOS > USB > disabling the 3.0 controllers > exiting while discarding the changes and letting W7 launch. Since I have the latest drivers from the Intel download site already installed, I did not bother to uninstall and reinstall, which I am glad that that is no longer a required part of the fix procedure. So far, we just seem to have a temporary fix. It would be nice to have a permanent fix (one where we can keep our devices plugged into the rear USB 3.0 port 24/7 and reboot without the issue reoccurring). However, without knowing the root cause of the issue, I dont see how we can come up with a more permanent fix. I suppose the posted question has only been partially answered. Scott, Sean, or Gareth, what do you think? Is the temporary fix as good as it is going to get or do you think someone out there has the know how, time, and tools (do Intel hardware/software tech's review and respond to these posts?) to troubleshoot the issue (determine the root cause and provide a more permanent fix)?

Brant

• 9. Re: DX79SR - Rear USB 3.0 Ports Not Working - What is the fix?
                          Gareth Smith

Considering we are all having the exact same problem (Win7 & Win8) and that by entering and exiting the BIOS, the ports seem to work as normal and resolve the issue until a reboot, I would hazard to guess the issue could be resolved by an updated BIOS.

If an Intel tech is reading this is there any plans to launch an updated BIOS for this MB? Would it address this issue?

Otherwise at least we can get the ports to work with the 'temporary' fix.

• 10. Re: DX79SR - Rear USB 3.0 Ports Not Working - What is the fix?
                            ct

USB-3 sometimes with long 58 pause, me too. Very odd. With nothing pluged into the USB-3 ports, it starts with:

- the front USB-3 working but not the back

- reboot and f2

- turn off USB in BIOS and Boot

- boot blows through 58 but no USB-3 front or back

- turn on USB-3 in BIOS and get a 30 sec. pause at 58

- Win 7 reports that New Device is Ready to Use: Reneses USB-3 Host Controller and Reneses USB-3 Root Hub with nice green ticks

- back ports now work but no front ports

- goto Device Manager and see 2 of Reneses USB-3 Host Controllers one with yellow bang

- Disable and Enable Reneses with warning

- all ports now work

Oh, and something totally unrelated to the USB-3 oddity. If I try a RAID on the Marvell ports it runs for about 15-20 min. before BSOD. Put the same drives on the 2 Intel 6G ports with 2 non-RAID HDDs on the Marvell ports and no problems. It would be nice if all of the advertized features actually worked. Other than that, nice board.

Cal

• 11. Re: DX79SR - Rear USB 3.0 Ports Not Working - What is the fix?
                              Carter

Well I might as well join in here. I just bought this motherboard, and low and behold the rear USB 3.0 ports do not work. I have gone into the BIOS and everything is enabled. I re installed the drivers and it worked fine before I rebooted, then they stopped working again upon reboot. I am pretty disappointed in this motherboard.

• 12. Re: DX79SR - Rear USB 3.0 Ports Not Working - What is the fix?
                                Dan_Intel

Hello,

Here are our recommendations for this issue:

- Proceed to load both back and front usb 3.0 drivers:

Front

Download Center

Back

Download Center

- Make sure the USB 3.0 front panel does not have any kind of bent pins and if possible test with a different one to narrow the issue. Test the board out of the chassis to avoid any possible grounding that could be affecting the system.

- Test with a BIOS recovery test to versions 0525 then 0537:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-022312.htm

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21553&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09&DownloadType=BIOS

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21688&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09&DownloadType=BIOS

- Ensure you are loading the latest version of the ME driver:

Download Center

• 13. Re: DX79SR - Rear USB 3.0 Ports Not Working - What is the fix?
                                  Carter

This is not a fix.

Followed it to a T (I don't have the USB 3.0 front port hooked up to the mobo)

You need to call Intel and tell them about this issue so it is escalated, which is what I have done. They will have their engineers look into it and maybe come up with a fix.

• 14. Re: DX79SR - Rear USB 3.0 Ports Not Working - What is the fix?
                                    Carter

I have contacted Intel via phone and email; and well I will be getting a refund for this board.

The tech support person I spoke with on the phone has told me this is a known issue and that there is no known fix, and no way to know if a future fix will be in the works.

They wanted to RMA it of course or have the place of purchase give me a refund (NewEgg will only replace, not refund mobo's). With them knowing that the replacement will have the same problem, they decided as a courtesy to give me a refund since I have not even had the board for 10 days let alone 30 days.

The other thing is the tech guys that have emailed me and the tech support I am in contact with over the phone are not on the same wavelength. The guys emailing me are still trying to get the board to work correctly. For those of you who might not have the refund as an option, this is what they told me to do:

"Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

Thank you for that information, a BIOS update could help you with this situation.

The version 0525 is the one that we recommend in order to resolve the problem, so you can try to update the motherboard BIOS to that version.

Thank you"

Good luck guys! I wish this board worked me for cause it had so much potential!!!

Message was edited by: Carter spelling mistakes!

1 2 Previous Next