12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2013 1:30 PM by lhill

DC3217IYE Cannot Start 6205 Wireless Drivers

dzar

I installed a Centrino Advanced-N 6205 board in my NUC but cannot get the drivers started. I downloaded both version  15.2.0 (first) and then 15.3.1 and neither work. I get a code 10, device cannot start message. Tried various reboots and uninstall/installs to no avail. Is this really supposed to work and what else should I try if it is? Anyone else with this working configuration?

Thanks,

Dave

• 1. Re: DC3217IYE Cannot Start 6205 Wireless Drivers
          dzar

Update... no, still doesn't work (more than a bit frustrating). I just realized I didn't mention that this is for 64-bit Windows 7. Clean install of the OS, then loaded the NUC drivers. Everything is fine except this.

The setupapi.dev logs shows:

Device not started: Device has problem: 0x0a: CM_PROB_FAILED_START

which means it was detected, added but not started (which we know from the device manager list).

Anyone with working wireless networking? If so, what driver version are you running? PROset or just drivers?

Anyone?

Thanks,

Dave

• 2. Re: DC3217IYE Cannot Start 6205 Wireless Drivers
            lhill

Hi Dave,

The 6205 device has been tested and is compatible with the NUC kits, so not quite sure what's happening with yours. I do have a note from our tech support that they've seen odd behaviors if you only have one memory module installed in systems.  Does that apply to your situation at all? Also, have you successfully used this 6205 device in any other system?

Regards,

Lois H.

Intel

• 3. Re: DC3217IYE Cannot Start 6205 Wireless Drivers
              8rows

lhill wrote:

...I do have a note from our tech support that they've seen odd behaviors if you only have one memory module installed in systems. ...

Hi Lois - can you expand on these "odd behaviors" a little?  I've been running my NUC with only one module for a while now and have fought issues with audio/video aspects of it.  Until now I've chocked all these up to software-related problems, but maybe there's a hardware aspect I hadn't envisioned.

• 4. Re: DC3217IYE Cannot Start 6205 Wireless Drivers
                dzar

I have two 4 GB memory modules. I have used that same module in a laptop with no problems.

I think the problem may be in the driver package. Is there a known good driver version? Can somebody in the labs confirm the driver version being used and point me to the install package for it? Installing the latest two versions seems to not work and/or I'm simply using the wrong installers.

I am trying to use Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks,

Dave

• 5. Re: DC3217IYE Cannot Start 6205 Wireless Drivers
                  lhill

Hi Dave,

The current 6205 driver is here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3316&DwnldID=22116. You have two options for downloading on that page:

DRIVERS ONLY: Wireless_15.3.1_Ds64.exe

Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software (includes Drivers): Wireless_15.3.1_s64.exe

You might want to grab both to try. If you still can't get it going, then I'd suggest you email the Wireless tech support team directly at https://supportmail.intel.com/scripts-emf/welcome.aspx?id=1783.

Regards,

Lois H.

Intel

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: DC3217IYE Cannot Start 6205 Wireless Drivers
                    dzar

Thanks. Those are the drivers I've tried. And I've tried both...

I'll try the wireless group... I have a a 6235 card showing up today or tomorrow, as well. Maybe I'll have more luck with that.

Dave

• 7. Re: DC3217IYE Cannot Start 6205 Wireless Drivers
                      dzar

I contacted wireless support and they suggested that I update the BIOS in the NUC. I was already at the latest version, however. They also yelled at me for using OEM parts and such... someone should maybe ask them to not yell at the customer :-) I am an OEM (and told them so in the extensive form I filled out for them) and with the NUC, it's an Intel product being sold without all the parts so we can customize. Anyway...

I have installed a 6235 board in place of the 6205 and that one works just fine.

The 6205 board works in a laptop so is functional. It does not work in the NUC board. The specific model for the board that doesn't work is 62205ANHMW.

For the moment, I can continue on, but it would be nice to know if this board is really supported as it may become the preferred configuration for us.

Thanks,

Dave

• 8. Re: DC3217IYE Cannot Start 6205 Wireless Drivers
                        lhill

Thank you, Dave.  I'm working with the Wireless team to help them better understand the needs of NUC customers and the Intel WiFi devices.  Did you happen to get a service ticket number when you contacted the Wireless team?

• 9. Re: DC3217IYE Cannot Start 6205 Wireless Drivers
                          dzar

Yes, the ticket number is 8000602691.

Thanks,

Dave

• 10. Re: DC3217IYE Cannot Start 6205 Wireless Drivers
                            lhill

Thank you.

By the way, I just swapped in a 6205 in place of the 6235 I had on my lab NUC and it's fine in Device Manager.  So, again... not sure at all why yours is acting up. Out of curiosity, if you install the 6205 into the top PCIe slot instead - what happens?  Should be safe to test... connect the antennas; insert into the slot; temporarily leave the chassis open; connect cables and turn it on.  Maybe some weird grounding issue?

• 11. Re: DC3217IYE Cannot Start 6205 Wireless Drivers
                              dzar

Good to know... can you verify that the part number is 62205ANHMW? I think there are two versions of the 6205 and that might be the problem. This one I have is a pull from a laptop (where it does work).

Dave

• 12. Re: DC3217IYE Cannot Start 6205 Wireless Drivers
                                lhill

Hi Dave,

Mine is the same part number as yours, although it is an earlier engineering sample.  The TA# is G12784-002.  If you provide me with your TA#, I'll try tracking one of those down to test with instead.

Lois