5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2013 1:21 PM by vidgabor

DZ77GA-70K questions

vidgabor

I have an DZ77GA-70K Motherboard, with INTEL Core i5-3570 3.40GHz 1155 CPU, hard disk is an WD30EZRX (3TB, SATA-III, 6GB/s). I connected this disk to SATA0 connector (blue one). My problem, I don't see this disk in boot order menu, and installer of the WIN7(64bit) say: "you cannot boot from this device", after the installation(?) the WIN7 I can't boot from this disk. (I select the UEFI boot in the boot menu before installing WIN7). Can everybody help me?

• 1. Re: DZ77GA-70K questions
          rbmorse

UEFI boot requires that the boot device to be a GPT format device. Is the device you are trying to install Windows to configured as a GPT device?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DZ77GA-70K questions
            vidgabor

YES, In WIN7 installer I try to format (and partitioning) for GPT (but this selection wasn't easy...). You suppose, the formating (and/or partitioning) isn't correct for UEFI boot?

• 3. Re: DZ77GA-70K questions
              rbmorse

boot from the Windows installation disk and select the repair option, continuing until you are given the choice to open a repair console.  Do so. That should open a DOS box (command window).  At the blinking cursor prompt, type:

diskpart<enter>

where <enter> means press the <enter> key.  When diskpart has completed loading it will present another blinking cursor prompt. At the prompt type:

list disk<enter>

That should result in a list of attached storage devices.  Find the line that corresponds to the device that you want to install windows onto.  Does it have an asterisk (*) in the column labeled GPT?  If so, the device has been converted to GPT format and should accept a UEFI mode windows installation.

If there is no asterisk (*) in the GPT column your choices are to install windows in legacy BIOS mode (recommended)  or convert the device to GPT format.  Conversion to GPT format will result in  the loss of all data on the physical drive (not just the installation partition, but all the partitions on the drive).

To convert the device to GPT format, note the disk number of the desired device. Note also that diskpart starts counting from 0 and not one, so the first disk in the list is considered "disk 0".  Make sure you use diskpart's disk number for the following steps as the conversion process will destroy all data on the selected drive, even if it is not the drive you really wanted to convert.

at the diskpart prompt, type:

select disk N<enter>

where N is the number of the disk from the list presented by diskpart in the previous step, i.e., select disk 2.  This will make the third disk in the list the selected disk.  From the diskpart prompt type:

list disk<enter>

and verify that an asterisk (*) appears in the first column of  information for correct disk because the next command will remove all data and partitions from the entire physical drive.  At the prompt type:

clean<enter>

The clean command should execute quickly and not take very long to complete.  When the diskpart prompt returns, type:

convert GPT<enter>

This will convert the selected disk to a GPT device.  Close diskpart by typing:

exit<enter>

then close the command window by typing:

exit<enter>

at which point you can reboot the computer from the Windows installation disk and attempt the UEFI installation once again.  It is not necessary to partition or format the target drive for the installation as the Windows installer will handle that properly (including offset) during the installation.

• 4. Re: DZ77GA-70K questions
                nails

What I would do:

1) Delete all partitions on the hard drive and let the Windows 7 UEFI installation disk make the partitions.

You are booting from the optical drive, so you don't need to select a hard drive as a boot device yet.

2 Set the SATA Configuration to [RAID]

For drives over 2 TB, you need to use a driver version newer than that one on the installation  disk.

Support for single drives over 2TB was added in IRST Version 10.1 or newer

Download Center

Download the file that is 0.34 MB. Make a new folder on a flash drive and extract the zip file to the new folder. When you start the Windows 7 installation choose "add drivers" and point the installer to the new folder with the unzipped file.

The larger 11.81 MB file is the Intel Rapid Storage Technology User Interface which is installed after Windows 7 is installed. You are allowed to use single drives in RAID mode.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: DZ77GA-70K questions
                  vidgabor

Thank You! This method it seems to be work.