1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 18, 2013 12:37 PM by rbmorse

Questions About The DZ77RE75K Motherboard

Amtrak288

I'm looking very much at using this board in my new computer and have a few questions:

1.  I found some Kingston HyperX 2400Mhz RAM that fits this board but runs at 1.65v and the manual for this board says something about 1.5v is recommended for DDR-3 RAM.  My question is, if I install this RAM for which this board supports, will the BIOS automatically adjust the voltage to 1.65V or will I have to manually change it in the BIOS?

2.  This board has onboard video with the HDMI port but I choose to use a separate video card.  Is it a safe assumption that the BIOS automaitcally disables the onboard video when it detects a video card is installed (I know, dumb question but I don't think my current board has this feature).

3.  What would be a good case to use this board in, considering the following: I'm old fashioned and want a separate DVD Drive from a DVD/BRD Burner, also I want to have a card reader installed as well as the USB 3.0 ports that come with the board that are designed for the front of the case?

4.  I'm planning to use Windows 7 on this new computer because I'm just not impressed with Windows 8.  That said, I've read Windows 7 has no native support for USB 3.0, so am I correct to assume that all I need are the proper drivers to make the USB 3.0 ports work in Windows 7?

I have had good luck with Intel Motherboards over the years with the noted exception of a DX58SO board that died after less than 3 months, though Intel replaced it under warranty.  Any other advice as well as answers to the above 4 questions would be appreciated!

• 1. Re: Questions About The DZ77RE75K Motherboard
          rbmorse

My advice is to not use the 1.6V memory with a 7 series-chipset motherboard.  The JEDEC standard for DDR3 modules specifies 1.5V or 1.3V parts.  But, to answer your question, no, the BIOS will not automatically adjust the memory voltage (vDIMM) and whatever other voltages need to be changed to accommodate 1.6V memory parts.

If the SPD chip on the modules support Intel's XMS profile spec, once the computer is assembled you can enter the memory section of the BIOS setup and specify the desired (required) XMS profile which will set system voltages appropriately for the memory parts.  That should be a one time change, but assumes the board will boot to POST with the memory at the default 1.5V setting.

The BIOS setup default is to initialize the integrated video and designate it as the primary video adapter if no other video adapter is present.  I never had a problem using an ATI HD5850 in my 70K

The board will fit in any case that can accommodate a full size ATX motherboard.  Shop for the case with the features you need.

The board comes with a utility/driver CD that contains a Windows 7 USB 3.0 driver.  Newer revisions are available on Intel's support website in the section for this motherboard.