1 2 Previous Next 13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2013 1:24 PM by manuelh

DZ77GA-70K - Keyboard on PS/2 port will not work

m6bigdog

I would like to use the keyboard on the PS/2 port so I can wake-up the system (alt+Prt Sc) from Rapid Start Hibernation.

When I plug the keyboard in the PS/2 port and boot the system the keyboard light are on but no one is home.

F2 will not enter the BIOS and once the Login screen is up I cannot enter the password.

Yep, PS/2 in the BIOS is checked!!

Is there a config in Device Manager I can do before I power down to enable the keyboard to function on the PS/2 port?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: DZ77GA-70K - Keyboard on PS/2 port will not work
          rbmorse

Make sure all of the "rapid boot" options in the BIOS setup are disabled and that support for legacy devices is enabled.

• 2. Re: DZ77GA-70K - Keyboard on PS/2 port will not work
            m6bigdog

Yep,

The legacy PS/2 port is checked and the Fast Boot optimizations are unchecked

• 3. Re: DZ77GA-70K - Keyboard on PS/2 port will not work
              rbmorse

The only thing that comes to mind is to find the entry for the keyboard in device manager and uninstall the existing driver from there.  The next time the machine reboots Windows should detect the hardware and reinstall the PS/2 keyboard driver from the driver cache.

• 4. Re: DZ77GA-70K - Keyboard on PS/2 port will not work
                m6bigdog

rbmorse,

I can see several others having unresolved problems with the PS/2 port..

jemsurvey May 24, 2012 5:04 AM

rust3d Sep 9, 2012 10:57 AM

mukuro        Sep 9, 2012 6:40 PM              

Wracky Nov 19, 2012 9:56 AM

I tried uninstalling the keyboard driver, shutting the system down in pulling the PS/2-USB adapter and plugging the keyboard into the PS/2 port.

The BIOS boot takes a long time and if I touch a couple of keys the MB will BEEP 3 times.

However, the BIOS will not respond to the keyboard F2 key and it finally complete the OS boot.

I used the onscreen keyboard to password into Windows 7 and look at Device Manager and there is no Keyboard in the list of devices.

I will get another PS/2 keyboard and try this again.

Thanks for the help,

• 5. Re: DZ77GA-70K - Keyboard on PS/2 port will not work
                  Tadashi Dalba

No problem now with my ps2 keyboard  and microsoft wireless 8000 mouse, I'm running in  061 bios, cpu 4,2ghz, ram with xmp profile loaded and  other bios option untouched. System rock solid and no one imput issue. Bios 053 was better than 061

• 6. Re: DZ77GA-70K - Keyboard on PS/2 port will not work
                    rikka

Which CPU are you using?

I have a DZ77RE-75K with an i7-3770K and there's something weird about PS/2 support: it does not work with neither of my three PS/2 keyboards. However when I returned the motherboard to the store, they tested it in my presence, and their PS/2 keyboard worked perfectly fine.

I should have asked them which CPU model did they test it with but it didn't strike me back then; I am suspecting that these boards only support PS/2 when a Sandy Bridge CPU is used.

• 7. Re: DZ77GA-70K - Keyboard on PS/2 port will not work
                      m6bigdog

rikka,

Thanks for the post.

I too am using the  i7-3770K.

My PS/2 keyboard usage problems are unresolved and I've tried everything known to man and other smart PC config professionals!!  Even Filco is stumped.

I didn't think the processor had anything to do with the BIOS/chipset Boot process, hummm.

\Anybody using a PS/2 keyboard with the  i7-3770K processor?

• 8. Re: DZ77GA-70K - Keyboard on PS/2 port will not work
                        Richard

I have the same motherboard with an i7-3770 (not the "K" version) and decided to dust off my old WYSE PS/2 keyboard to test it after reading this. It works fine, and I am typing this reply with it. So the PS/2 port will work with an Ivy Bridge processor on this board. Device Manager in Windows shows a Standard PS/2 Keyboard is installed. The only keyboard issue I have is that Num Lock won't activate at initial boot even though I set this in the bios. I always have to press the Num Lock key which is a very minor annoyance. The same happens with my USB keyboard too so it is not related to PS/2 in my case. I am using bios version 061.

• 9. Re: DZ77GA-70K - Keyboard on PS/2 port will not work
                          Tadashi Dalba

my keyboard is just a microsoft wired ps/2 rt2300 and work 100%, Nun lock key is always on during initial boot.

• 10. Re: DZ77GA-70K - Keyboard on PS/2 port will not work
                            rbmorse

I have a 3770K on my -70K.  An IBM model "M" keyboard works fine in the PS/2 port, but neither my Das Keyboard "Ultimate" or Matias USB keyboards work using a USB > PS/2 adapter.

Of course, the Matias is a Mac keyboard so the BIOS never sees it, although once Windows or Linux loads their keyboard drivers it works fine.

• 11. Re: DZ77GA-70K - Keyboard on PS/2 port will not work
                              rikka

m6bigdog, Filco here as well.

All this data really puzzles me, since it works perfectly with my old ASUS P5E board.

I'm sure it's not Filco or Mitsumi (my other keyboards are both 1994-1997 made 106key Mitsumis) at fault.

• 12. Re: DZ77GA-70K - Keyboard on PS/2 port will not work
                                Tadashi Dalba

My PS/2 keyboard work 100% but sometimes my wireless  mouse do not work during boot and I must reset the OS to get it working. The receiver  is connected to normal usb.

• 13. Re: DZ77GA-70K - Keyboard on PS/2 port will not work
                                  m6bigdog

Being a life long ET/IT of reasonable intelligence, I have come to realize over the 40+ years of talking to the hardware that when all my reasoning fails to produce the anticipated outcomes the only option left is to throw more money at the solution.

So, in order to get my new Filco USB keyboard working through the DZ77GA-70K - PS/2 port, I used a StarTech PS22USB Keyboard and Mouse Adapter.

This isn't another $5 passive adapter like the one that was supplied with the keyboard.

This adapter is a fully ACTIVE self-powered USB to PS/2 keyboard/mouse adapter.

I also purchased a PS/2 Keyboard Mouse Splitter Cable Adapter to reduce the individual PS/2 Keyboard & Mouse connectors from the adapter into a single combo Keyboard/Mouse PS/2 connector.

Unfortunately, on the first pass the Kensington Expert Mouse failed to work with the keyboard.

However and for the moment, I will take a functioning keyboard on the PS/2 port as a win and see if I can get the mouse working through the adapter when I have more time to calmly discuss what I want with the motherboard and the other players in this config.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: DZ77GA-70K - Keyboard on PS/2 port will not work
                                    rikka

Does it support NKRO?

1 2 Previous Next