2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2013 7:06 AM by Daryl

Intel DX79SI Raid Boot Questions

Daryl

My system was preconfigured by a vendor.  It has a 120GB SSD as the primary boot device.  It also has a 2TB secondary for data storage.

I want to set up RAID 1 with a new third 2TB drive with the existing secondary 2TB drive.  I don't want the SSD to be RAID.  Secondarily, I want to do the mirror without losing the data on the secondary drive which I understand the Intel utility can do.  That aside though, I can't even get to that point.

As soon as I change the BIOS to RAID, I get a BSOD with a code of 7B.  Everything is upgraded to the current releases (BIOS, drivers, etc.).  I changed the registry settings to Start the drivers to 0 (msahci and iaStorV).  I noticed I do have iaStorV drivers loaded, but NOT iaStor drivers.

I do NOT want to reinstall Windows 7 to do a F7 install (if that even applies to Windows 7 anymore).

When I set the BIOS to RAID and use Control-I, I can see all three drives, all with a type of non-RAID.  I don't want to configure the RAID at this point in the Control-I BIOS, because it is my understanding that it would wipe out the data on the original secondary drive.  I understand if it do it from the Intel software app within Windows, it won't wipe it out on the original secondary 2TB drive (see below) from the IRST User Guide http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/irst_user_guide.pdf.

8 Converting RAID-Ready to Full RAID

8.1 Overview  - This section explains how to convert (or migrate) from a RAID-Ready system to a fully-functional RAID system. The example in this section describes the migration steps for RAID 1.

8.2 RAID-Ready to 2-drive RAID 1 - To convert a RAID-Ready system into a system with a 2-drive RAID 1 volume, follow these steps:

Warning: This operation will delete all existing data from the additional hard drive or drives and the data cannot be recovered. It is critical to backup all important data on the additional drives before proceeding. The data on the source hard drive, however, will be preserved.

...but I can't get Windows to boot to even get to that point.

I believe that since I can't get it to boot other than when the BIOS is in AHCI mode, I don't see the 'Intel SATA RAID controller' in the device manager.

What am I missing?