1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2015 4:05 PM by hansb_intel

DX79SI Not booting to OS. Post error on screen shows 0_

Prakash A M

Hi Gurus,

We had integrated a system with Intel DX79SI, Intel 3960X, 4x8GB RAM, Asus HD7970 DC2T-3GD5 GPU, Adaptec 6405 RAID Controller, 4 SAS Drives, DVD RW, 1000W Cooler Master PSU etc. On Powering up the system, the POST screen along with system details RAID config etc and freezes with 0_ post error on screen. The On board Diagnostic LED show 00. But system does not boot to OS. The display shows 0_ on right bottom. The same graphic card and other components are functional with Asus Rampage iv extreme. The BIOS ver is 553.

Kindly advice and help to find a solution.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: DX79SI Not booting to OS. Post error on screen shows 0_
          Dan_Intel

Hello Prakash,

Here are our recommendations for this issue:

- Please, place the board over a non-conducting surface.  Just plug in the power supply, the video card, minimum amount of memory, and the processor, and try to boot up. Start adding one component at the time until you find the conflicting one.

- Test the system without memory installed looking for beep codes.

- Swap components to narrow the issue if possible.

• 2. Re: DX79SI Not booting to OS. Post error on screen shows 0_
            mkeener3

Hello Dan,

I am having the exact same problem as Prakash and I was curious if a solution was ever found.  Here is my current experience:

I am running a DX79SI with the latest BIOS update as of october 2012. I was previously using an ATI HD4870 graphics card in my configuration.  I upgraded to an AMD/ATI HD 7870 and the system will now seemingly halt booting with a 0_ on the bottom right corner of the screen.  The Post code indicator on the motherboard itself reads 00. 

The strange thing about this is, the screen maintains the 0_ indefinitely. However, if I wait, I can hear windows booting in the background, but the screen never updates. I can navigate into the BIOS just fine with the new card, however booting past it always results in this same error.  I've tried resetting the bios, changing PCIe slots, same results. All other cards/ram are firmly seated.  If I switch back to the old video card I can boot normally.  This seems a peculiar error if it is in fact the video card itself.  Any suggestions apart from RMAing the video card?

Thank you!

• 3. Re: DX79SI Not booting to OS. Post error on screen shows 0_
              smcdowell

I had the same problem with the Intel DX79SI when I tried installing a Gigabyte GV-R787OC-2GD video card.  It works fine with an NVIDIA 8400 GS but I would like to get a more current video card.  Is there a newer compatibility list than here: Intel´┐Ż Desktop Board DX79SI — Tested peripherals?  I'd settle for knowing what feature causes the problem so I know what to avoid when purchasing a video card.

• 4. Re: DX79SI Not booting to OS. Post error on screen shows 0_
                Darei

Hello Everyone,

I have a same issue with several PCs in our office. Has anyone solve this problem?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: DX79SI Not booting to OS. Post error on screen shows 0_
                  sylvia_intel

Darei, have you tried the recommendations previously posted?

Can you please provide me the system configuration:

* Desktop Board:

* Onboard Options Used

* Video card:

* Current BIOS:

* Power Supply:

* Processor:

* Memory model:

* Operating System:

Regards.

• 6. Re: DX79SI Not booting to OS. Post error on screen shows 0_
                    Darei

Hello Sylvia,

I used these specs

* Desktop Board: DX79SI

* Onboard Options Used

* Video card: GV-R777OC-1GD v2 (ATI HD7770) or GV-R785OC-1GD (ATI HD7850)

* Current BIOS: SIX7910J.86A (0559)

* Power Supply: Fortron Aurum 650 CM (650W)

* Processor: i7-3820

* Memory model: KHX2133C11D3K4/8GX

* Operating System: impossible to install

BR, Darei

• 7. Re: DX79SI Not booting to OS. Post error on screen shows 0_
                      sylvia_intel

Thanks Darei for your system information.

• 8. Re: DX79SI Not booting to OS. Post error on screen shows 0_
                        sylvia_intel

Darei,

Have you tried installing the latest firmware of your video card? This seems to be a compatibility issues with Intel Boards.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: DX79SI Not booting to OS. Post error on screen shows 0_
                          Darei

yes :-( still same problem btw, no new firmware for graphics

• 10. Re: DX79SI Not booting to OS. Post error on screen shows 0_
                            upsetty

I also have exact same issue booting DX79TO with nvidia 770 (gainward, 2Gb). Rest of setup is as follows:

-DX79TO, latest bios 559

-i7-3820

-ram 32Gb -1333

-1ssd (sata2), 1hdd(sata2), 1hhd(sata3), all <1T and in ahci mode

-850w psu with 12V: 60+A and common

With old video card the system worked fine. With 770 it hangs at boot screen error 0_ and on board 00. And the 770 also works on other systems. Also the usb driver chooses by itself when it wants to have the keyboard available and when not. Half of times the keyboard doesnt work at post, e.g. cant enter bios with F2 and that sort of thing.

I am really, really disappointed with Intel this time, this board was high price but its very buggy and got a very bad experience with it. In retrospect i should of gone with other boards half price and no issues. If this is not solved soon, i will stay away from intel as possible - and also will advise like so. Atm my thumb is down for intel.

This *really* needs a fix from intel. Not from somebody else.

• 11. Re: DX79SI Not booting to OS. Post error on screen shows 0_
                              sylvia_intel

Hello Upsetty,

Thanks for the information provided. We have already escalated this situation to the engineering department.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards.

• 12. Re: DX79SI Not booting to OS. Post error on screen shows 0_
                                RayBeast

DX79TO

BIOS SIX7910J.86A.559.2013.0305.2337

Processor i7-3820

Memory 1 Dimm 8gb 1.35 voltage

Video Gigabyte HD 6670

Here is what I am experiencing.  When I first boot the system I get the intel splash screen with the "F" options and in the bottom right corner there is a 5A.  If I leave the system alone, it goes to a BLACK SCREEN (Not Blank Screen) with a 0_ in the bottom right hand corner where the 5A was initially in the intel splash screen.  On the actual motherboard, I get 00 on the LED display.

Now what I have tried to do is Boot to a Bootable USB and/or Bootable DVD.

The steps I take are simply pressing F10 and wait for the boot menu.  I see my Hard Drive, DVD, USB and IBA GE Slot as options.  So what do I do, I simply select the USB or DVD.  What happens?  As soon as I press the enter key on my keyboard, a little 0 pops up in the bottom right hand corner of the monitor.  The system does not even attempt to process my command to boot to the media.  It's like it is predeterminedthat it will not boot no matter what I do.

I was told that 00 on the LED means the board is in normal boot state and that there may be a problem with the board.  I have no other tricks up my sleeve when it comes to making this board boot.  I have removed all unnecessary devices and tried the most basic boot to no luck.-38 Any suggestions?

• 13. Re: DX79SI Not booting to OS. Post error on screen shows 0_
                                  upsetty

For any other ppls new to this issue, to recap, the mb hangs on 00 or 0_ codes after booting.

The solution is to take that video card, put it in another computer (different MB, such one that it will boot fine with the videocard at hand). So mount card to different computer and use that computer to do a video card BIOS update, downloaded from the manufacturer of such card. After such video card update, change the video card back into DX... mobo and it will work with this intel MB series. The problem is that it requires you to have another computer with another (even older) motherboard that works fine with the video card, and also that the video card manufacturer actually released a BIOS update to fix this issue. Across the spectrum, its not clear which manufacturer of video cards actually released bios fixes for this issue, and which did not. I have a "Palit" 770 phantom board and the new bios from palit actually fixed it. Dunno for evga or orther video card producers.

The compliant against intel is that older motherboards seem to work fine with these new video cards, while new MB like DX... don't boot up. My guess its probably something to do with new uefi boards versus new video cards. And its probably easy for intel to blame the video card manufacturers, but again me for one i bought intel coz i thought i would have better support or better chances to avoid cases just like this.

• 14. Re: DX79SI Not booting to OS. Post error on screen shows 0_
                                    sylvia_intel

Guys,

The new BIOS version 0590 is now available under the following link. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23015&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09&DownloadType=BIOS

This link belongs to the DX79SI motherboard; however it is valid for the boards below.

Intel® Desktop Board DX79SI

Intel® Desktop Board DX79SR

Intel® Desktop Board DX79TO

• Fixed issue where PCIe Slot 2 does not work with certain PCIe x1  add-in cards.

• Fixed issue with Wake-on-LAN in Linux*.

• Fixed issue where certain add-in graphics cards are not properly detected.

• Updated processor support.

• Improved compatibility with the latest graphics cards.

Regards.

1 2 Previous Next