6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2013 12:08 AM by ombobombo

DP45SG supports 3TB HDD ?

ombobombo

Hello !
      I own a DP45SG Rev.405 and want to use a 3TB WD Caviar Green Harddrive as fourth drive, not to boot from - only for storage.
      Because the Boot-Array is a Raid0, I have to set BIOS to "Raid" and use the onboard SATA-Raid Controller.

If I connect the 3TB-HD with this setting, it only shows 7xxGB at startup,
      if I switch in BIOS to setting "IDE" it is shown correct with full capacity (but of course no Raid0-Boot possible)
      In Win7 64 it is always shown with full capacity.
      Intel Rapid Storage-Tech. 11.7.0.1013 is installed, it shows full capacity (2.795 GB)

Questions:
      1. Can I use the 3TB-Disk anyway, even if it's not shown correct at startup ?
      2. What Settings are correct in Win7 for initialising, Format, Sector Size and so on
      3. How to prevent data loss because of the 2.2TB-Border ?

For all competent answers
      I thank you in advance

• 1. Re: DP45SG supports 3TB HDD ?
          nails

Due to Microsoft limitation, the MBR (Main Boot Record) partition table is the default option for initializing hard disks. However, the MBR partition table can only manage up to a 2TB partition. For creating or using a partition bigger than 2TB, you must initialize the HDD as GPT (GUID Partition table) partition table format in the Disk management option of Administrative tools in the Windows control panel. This type of partition table can manage HDD size up to 18EB (1EB = 1024PB = 1048576TB), and allow up to 128 partitions.

GPT partition is implemented under Windows XP 64-bit, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows7, Windows Server 2008 R2 or later. For detailed information on GPT partition table, please refer to the following Microsoft FAQ: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/GPT_FAQ.mspx

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DP45SG supports 3TB HDD ?
            ombobombo

Thank you for answering !
            But the main question is:

May it cause problems that the RAID-Controller (at boot) does not recognize the correct capacity?

I once lost 2.5 TB of data, I won't fall into that trap again
            Thx a lot

• 3. Re: DP45SG supports 3TB HDD ?
              JFFulcrum

The trouble is in SATA RAID ROM in your MB BIOS. Support for greater than 2 Tb HDDs was added in ROM version started from 10.0 (like v10.6.0.1091).  DP45SG latest BIOS include only 8.6.0.1007 - thus only 7xx MB seen in RAID BIOS. Because Intel MB support for this board ended, there will be no more BIOS updates. Windows RST driver probably solve this trouble if you will use that HDD as non-bootable, but access to disk from Live CDs or Windows Safe Mode, or with direct HDD access tools may ruin the data.

• 4. Re: DP45SG supports 3TB HDD ?
                ombobombo

YAY!
                This explanation really brings me a step forward ! Thanks a lot
                I don't know if the green star will close the thread (it's my very first try here), but I will click it anyway.
                If thread is closed, please be kind and send me a PM to my further questions - thx !!
                These are:
                - Is there a way to update the SATA-RAID-ROM only ?
                - Is there a way to prevent the HDD to be accessed in SafeMode (automatically) ?
                - Any suggestions from your side ?

• 5. Re: DP45SG supports 3TB HDD ?
                  JFFulcrum

Is there a way to update the SATA-RAID-ROM only?

Generally yes, but on Intel MB this may be quite difficult task. First, you must somewhere get unpacker for BIOS for newer MB, unpack BIOS, find SATA RAID Option ROM, again somewhere get unpacker for your MB BIOS, unpack BIOS, replace RAID Option ROM in it, somewhere get packer and then have a try to flash edited BIOS into MB...with great chance to face with dead MB. Or just find that new Option ROM is bigger than old and final BIOS doesn`t fit into FWH chip on old MB.

Is there a way to prevent the HDD to be accessed in SafeMode (automatically) ?

Easiest way is to encrypt it, with tools like True Crypt or DiskCryptor, or even Windows BitLocker. Until you run tool and enter the password, disk is considered RAW (no filesystem present), so Windows will leave it intact.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: DP45SG supports 3TB HDD ?
                    ombobombo

Thanks once more !
                    Ok, in MY REALITY that means: NO !

Hopefully a simple PCI-Sata-Card will do it.

Speed is not that important but the ability to use a 2nd, 3rd or 4th 3TB-Disk and to be safe of data-loss is worth this 30 bucks...
                    thx & bye