2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2013 12:14 PM by erotavlas

Help! Cannot clone to new Intel 520 Series SSD

erotavlas

I just purchased the new Intel SSD 520 Series (240GB) and was attempting to clone my existing OS volume to the new disk but I keep getting an error.  It simply says Error Operation Failed in a message box.  This is with Intel Data Migration Software.

I also tried the Acronis version that came with my other hard drive for western digital and the same result.  I even tried cloning by using the bootable media (booting from a DVD) because I thought maybe I want supposed to be using the OS at the same time.  But no luck

Anyone know what's going on?  How can I get my exisint system partition to the new disk.

Its currently resides on an OCZ Vertex 2 (180GB)  and I'm running Windows 8 64Bit

Thanks for any help

• 1. Re: Help! Cannot clone to new Intel 520 Series SSD
          rbmorse

Is Windows installed in UEFI mode?

If you're running Windows 8 in UEFI mode you will have to use a third-party utility to convert the new SSD to a GPT device before you can clone the partitions on the old device to the new one.

Windows 8 diskpart will do the job...it's a bit clunky but it works.

From the start screen type:

cmd

Right click on the tile for "command prompt" and select "run as administrator" from the options at the bottom of the display

when the DOS box opens, type

diskpart<enter>

at the prompt.  When dispart starts, type

list disk<enter>

at the prompt.  Find your OCZ SSD in the list and verify there is a * in the GPT column for the device.  If there is no * in the GPT column for the device, you have a different problem and you should exit diskpart (type exit<enter>) without taking further action. If there is a * in the GPT column for the OCZ device, find the entry for the new Intel device and note the device number. Note the device numbering starts with 0, not 1

At the diskpart prompt type

select disk N<enter>  (where N is the device number, i.e., select disk 3<enter>.)

at the diskpart prompt type

list disk

and verify there is a * in the selected column of the line pertaining to the new Intel SSD

Verify again that the correct device is selected, because the next step is going to wipe _everything_ on the device that has a * in the first column of the line pertaining to that device. No kidding. It doesn't care what, if anything, is on the device...It doesn't care if you really meant to select a different device...the next step will will eradicate the data on the selected device and no power on earth will get it back. Ever.

At the diskpart prompt type

clean<enter>    (and kiss any data, partitions, formatting, etc, on the device good bye).

at the diskpart prompt type

convert GPT<enter>

You should get confirmation that the conversion was successful.  At this point you can close diskpart and try the Intel data migration software again

• 2. Re: Help! Cannot clone to new Intel 520 Series SSD
            erotavlas

How can I tell is Windows is installed in UEFI mode?

Also I think I found a solution that didn't require that many steps.  Since I also have a Western Digital hard drive for backups, I'm able to run their Acronis True image WD edition.  Fortunately it has more features that the Intel version.  All I did was create a full image backup of my existing System disk.  Then I simply restored that to the new Intel SSD and that was it.