Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7437 Discussions

Why is my wireless connection so slow?

idata
Employee

I recently purchased a Chronos Series 7 laptop (model NP700Z5C-S01UB) which came with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 network card. My home wifi router is a D-Link DIR-655.

My wife's HP laptop is using a Qualcomm Atheros AR5009 wifi card and its connection to the router is a constant, steady 300 Mbps. While my Samsung's connection fluctuates between 45 - 108 Mbps.

I've updated the drivers to the latest version (15.3.1.2 released on 30-Sep-2012). This is extremely frustrating and was wondering if I can do anything to increase the speed of my wifi connection?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Thank you for your post.

I understand that you are getting fluctuating speed through your wireless.

Fluctuating speed is usually related to interference or security/monitoring software on the system, in some cases it can also mean a faulty hardware.

In the case of interference you would see the same behavior on the other laptop if you switch places, you may still test changing some settings on the laptop, specifically the power management of the laptop (in control panel), set everything to maximum performance. Also just for a test move the laptop sideways (since the antennas are located in different areas on a laptop you may get better speeds if the laptop is in a different position) this part is also easily tested if you have the change to move around with the laptop.

For security/monitoring software you would need to check your laptop for any kind of anti-malware or monitoring software installed. Try also disabling the firewalls and anti-virus software, you would be able to know if this is a software related issue if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking and test the speed there. This would help you narrow down what the cause to this issue is. Now if you get the same speeds in safe mode then it would be related to a failing network adapter.

It is also recommended to check the router firmware.

See the link below for some additional information/help:

In Windows, how can I boot into Safe Mode?

http://kb.iu.edu/data/aire.html http://kb.iu.edu/data/aire.html

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

0 Kudos